The Chairman of this Committee, the Rt. Rev. K.C. Evans, presented the following report:
On motion, the Committee on Organization recommends to the National Executive Council that consideration and approval be given to the following resolutions:
Re: Program, Planning and Research
1. That Canon VI (Department of Religious Education), Canon VII (Department of Christian Social Service), and Canon X (Department of Information and Stewardship) be repealed and the program duties and powers of the three Departments be merged in the authority of the Program Committee, and the administrative and financial powers and functions be merged in the authority of the Administration and Finance Committee.
2. That Canon IX (Department of Finance) be amended as follows:
(1) The name of the Department to be altered to read "Department of Administration and Finance."
(2) Part I entitled "Board of Finance" be named "Administration and Finance Committee," and wherever the designation "The Board" appears in the said Canon, the same be replaced by "The Committee."
(3) That Subsection I of Section I of the said Canon be repealed and the following substituted therefor:
"1. The Department of Administration and Finance shall be administered under the direction of a Committee consisting of:
a. The Primate
b. The Prolocutor
c. The Honorary Treasurer of the General Synod
d. Two provincial representatives from each Province elected by General Synod from its membership
e. Five members of the National Executive Council elected from its membership at its first meeting following a Session of the General Synod
f. Five members, not necessarily members of General Synod or National Executive Council, elected by the National Executive Council at its first meeting following a Session of the General Synod."
(4) That the word "four" in Section 1., subsection 2., be struck out and the word "nine" substituted therefor.
(5) That Section 2. be amended by adding a further section as follows:
"The Committee shall have the control, direction, oversight and supervision of the administrative and financial concerns of General Synod."
(6) That Part III of the said Canon entitled "The Budget" be repealed and that Section 24 of Part III be added to Section 3 of Part I of the said Canon.
Re: Standing Committees and Commissions
3. That, having developed detailed proposals in regard to the Boards, as directed by General Synod in 1965, the Committee on Organization now proposes that it moves on to the restructuring of the Standing Committees and Commissions, and the General Secretary's areas of responsibility, and, pending the completion of the study of restructuring of the Standing Committees and Commissions, meet only when essential.
4. That Section 32.(d) of the Constitution be amended to read as follows:
"Christian Unity and the Church Universal, to consist of:
(a) four members of the Upper House; (b) eleven members of the Lower House."
5. That these resolutions be referred to the Committee on Constitution and Canons for preparation and incorporation in the Convening Circular.