1) That all former terms of reference for the Marriage and Related Matters Committee be revoked.
2) The establishment of a sub-committee of the Doctrine and Worship Committee entitled the "Sub-Committee on Marriage and Related Matters" having the following terms of reference:
a) To have a specific concern for the operation of Canon XXI "On Marriage and the Church" in the light of Christian Doctrine and pastoral care, in the circumstances of current social and economic issues, related to marriage and quasi-marital relationships.
b) To assist diocesan matrimonial commissions with questions of interpretation of the Marriage Canon.
c) To report to the Doctrine and Worship Committee, as appropriate, on questions pertaining to Doctrine and Worship covered by the Canon.
3) Recognizing that the work of the Sub-Committee requires expertise in a number of fields (ie. canon law, civil law, marriage counselling and family life) rather than geographical representation, the following regulations should govern the membership of the Sub-Committee:
The Sub-Committee should have a membership of five (5) including at least a bishop, priest and lay persons. Among the membership of the Sub-Committee there should be persons who are
- qualified in theological and ethical matters related to marriage and family life
- competent in counselling and pastoral care
- duly qualified in family law and legislation
- experienced in the operation of an ecclesiastical matrimonial commission
- qualified in appropriate social science disciplines.
b) Staff Support
That the Executive Director of Program be requested to provide staff and program support to the Sub-Committee for its work and to have administrative oversight of the operation of Canon XXI.
That the Sub-Committee membership be drawn primarily from a local area that would afford the possibilities of regular meetings without incurring sizeable expense.
4) At least one member should hold membership on the Doctrine and Worship Committee.
5) Nominations for membership should be approved by the Doctrine and Worship Committee. CARRIED