Moved by Archdeacon B. Hollowell, seconded by Archbishop B. Curtis,
That this General Synod:
1. Reaffirm and extend the "Interim Agreement on Eucharistic Sharing" between the Anglican Church of Canada and the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada to 2001.
2. Replace section 5.c.iii. of the Interim Eucharistic Sharing Agreement with new wording: "agreements which permit an ordained minister (priest or pastor) to serve the people of both churches, including presiding at the sacraments of the Church, wherever, and according to whichever rite, the local bishop of each church deems appropriate."
3. Request that bishops specifically invite neighbouring congregations (where appropriate) to commit themselves to undertake at least one joint project and celebrate at least one joint eucharist yearly.
4. Adopt and implement a policy to permit lay people of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada moving to the Anglican Church of Canada to be received with the same status (baptized/communicant/confirmed) which they held in the ELCIC. Such a move, with appropriate instruction, could be marked liturgically by a service of reception such as that found on pages 106-107 of the Canadian Book of Occasional Offices (1964) or on pages 161-162 of the Book of Alternative Services (1985).
5. Request dioceses and bishops to develop structures with the purpose of evaluating and improving the bishop's ministry, through collegial and periodic review.
6. Encourage continuing work toward entering full communion, as defined by the Canadian Lutheran Anglican Dialogue, by 2001.
7. Dismiss CLAD II with thanks, and mandate a Joint Working Group to oversee the process leading to the implementation of the above recommendations.
Moved by Bishop J. Baycroft, seconded by Bishop R. Hatton,
That sections 2,3,5 and 6 be deleted and the remaining sections renumbered. DEFEATED
Motion to Table
Moved by Archbishop B. Curtis, seconded by Canon N. Carver,
That the orginal motion be tabled. DEFEATED
Text of motion
Motion to End Debate
That the question on the motion re Lutheran Relations now be put. CARRIED
The motion was then put and CARRIED. Act 25
On behalf of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada, Bishop Telmor Sartison greeted the members and guests of Synod and introduced that church's Vice-President, Ms. Janet Morley. He expressed thanksgiving to God for the passage of the above resolution, which will be presented to the Lutheran Assembly in July 1995. He also thanked CLAD (the Canadian Lutheran Anglican Dialogue) for its work and spoke about the dialogue between the Anglican and Lutheran churches.