TRUTH AND RECONCILIATION COMMISSION (TRC) #025-12-13-03 : Document Collection
Archdeacon Thompson welcomed Ms. Nancy Hurn, General Synod Archivist, and Archdeacon Jim Boyles. He spoke about the digitizing of archival documents for TRC, whose mandate it is to gather relevant archival material from all parties involved with the operations of residential schools (including General Synod). This work has commenced but TRC lacks adequate resources to complete it. Archdeacon Thompson advised that money is available in the unrestricted surplus of the Missionary Society of the Anglican Church of Canada. He also emphasized that this work and expenditure is a response to a request from the TRC to the Parties to the Settlement Agreement.
Archdeacon Thompson requested COGS to consider contributing a portion of the reserve funds from the Missionary Society of the Anglican Church of Canada (MSCC) for this work. He thanked Ms. Hurn for her leadership and advocacy and Archdeacon Boyles for volunteering his time to assist with assembly of the documents. [Applause]
Text of motion
That the Council of General Synod adjourn and reconvene as the Missionary Society of the Anglican Church of Canada.
Following the meeting of the Missionary Society (MSCC), the Council of General Synod meeting reconvened.
Minutes of the MSCC meeting are attached as Appendix B.
MEETING OF THE BOARD OF MANAGEMENT OF THE MISSIONARY SOCIETY OF THE ANGLICAN CHURCH OF CANADA
Queen of Apostles Renewal Centre, Mississauga, ON
March 14, 2013
The Members of the Council of General Synod
Officers of the Society:
- President and Chair of the Board of Directors – Archbishop Fred Hiltz
- General Secretary – Archdeacon Dr. Michael Thompson
- Treasurer – Ms. Hanna Goschy
Financial Support with respect to Provision of Archival Documents
Moved by: Canon Robert Falby
Seconded by: The Ven. Harry Huskins
That the MSCC make available up to $125,000 from the unrestricted surplus of the Missionary Society of the Anglican Church of Canada for the following purposes:
1. Up to $30,000 to support dioceses in meeting their obligations to provide their archival documents, in fulfillment of their obligations under the Indian Residential School Settlement Agreement.
2. Up to $95,000 to create a digital version of documents provided by the Anglican Church of Canada (in fulfillment of a legal obligation) to ensure that those documents will be accessible through the National Research Centre (in fulfillment of a solemn moral obligation) to former students and their families and communities, as well as to researchers and educators and the general public.
Motion to Adjourn
Moved by: Chancellor David Jones
Seconded by: Ms. Cynthia Haines-Turner
That the meeting of the Board of Management of the Missionary Society of the Anglican Church of Canada be adjourned.