"St. Augustine's College was founded in 1848 in the partly refurbished ruins of St. Augustine's Abbey, not far from Canterbury Cathedral. Its foundation reflected the growing concern of its time for greater professionalism in training clergy. St. Augustine's was to be a missionary college, providing clergy for Britain's colonies and other dependencies abroad" (p. ). The College's High Church affiliation "can be seen in the frequently published 'Occasional Papers from St. Augustine's College, Canterbury,' which first appeared in 1852. They are largely comprised of lengthy extracts from letters of former students then serving in Anglican colonial and missionary dioceses. The letters exhibit the proficiency and character of their training, the peculiar circumstances of their colonial or missionary dioceses, their models of ministry and clerical expectations. Their publication also no doubt helped attract funds for the College, as they certainly acted as a precious link between far-flung former students" (p. ). A number of St. Augustine students began their service in Canada or Newfoundland. "[T]hese letters enable and encourage the (relatively neglected) comparative study of the British colonial churches' experience of adaptation and survival (especially at times when 'innovation' in the religious tradition that gave immigrants their identity was rarely applauded). Studying them enhances present self-understanding through contrasting the experiences of what became, generally speaking, the Canadian, South African and Australasian Churches of today's Anglican Communion. Local social historians will find these 'Occasional Papers' a valuable quarry, especially those interested in studying what they reveal of the early years of European settlement and of the post-European settlement contacts with indigenous peoples" (p. 124). "Readers of the 'Journal' may already be familiar with these 'Occasional Papers from St. Augustine's College Canterbury'. If not, I append a list of some early North American clergy whose letters appear there in extract form, and commend the reading of them. Their publication continued till 1941, when destructive enemy bombing forced the closure of the College as a missionary training centre" (p. 125).
Article includes a list (pages 126-135) with headings: Occasional Paper and Extract No. -- Page No. -- Author and Location -- Date.