- to conduct a public and independent review of legal and illegal gambling in Canada and of its social, economic, and legal impacts
- to make recommendations for public policy and for effective oversight of the gambling industry within the requirements of the Criminal Code, especially regarding electronic gambling
- to establish national standards for assessing gambling proposals, including economic, legal, and social-impact assessments
- to establish a single format for provinces to provide information on gambling and gambling-generated revenues to the Government of Canada and the Canadian public, and require full annual disclosure of such information
- to establish an independent review of provincial gambling commissions and issue a public report on the findings, with particular attention to public decision-making about allocation of gambling-generated funds, public accountability, and standards of governance that serve the public interest.
The mover and seconder agreed to the wording "Call upon the government of Canada ...."
Motion to refer
Text of motion
That the Council of General Synod refer Section 4 back to EcoJustice for their consideration in light of their developing with ACIP a statement on gambling. CARRIED #26-11-02