That section four be deleted and add to the motion "pending formal consultation with the Native people of the area." CARRIED
The Statement would now read:
1. In 1976, the National Executive Council authorized the Primate, in cooperation with other Canadian Church leaders, to request the Prime Minister and the Federal Cabinet to deny permits for offshore drilling in the Beaufort Sea.
2. Subsequently, the Cabinet agreed to authorize a permit for Dome Petroleum to undertake drilling operations during the 1976 season.
3. A number of technological as well as human failures were recorded in the course of the drilling season. Events have been documented to show the evident failure of Dome's technology to cope without substantial environmental risk with conditions in the Beaufort Sea.
4. A detailed review by the Canadian Arctic Resources Committee (CARC) shows that both the Department of Indian and Northern Affairs (DINA) and Dome Petroleum told both Native people and the public less than half the story about difficulties encountered in the 1976 offshore drilling operations.
5. Dome Petroleum has applied to Cabinet for approval of a 5-year drilling program in the Beaufort Seas.
6. In the light of the above information and events which have come to light since the recent meeting of the Program Committee, the Management Unit at the request of Social Action Ministries staff, propose that the National Executive Council pass the following resolution:
Moved by MacKenzie, seconded by Leadbeater,
That the Primate and/or officers of the National Executive Council again request the Prime Minister and the Federal Cabinet to deny permits for offshore drilling in the Beaufort Sea pending formal consultation of the Native people of the area. CARRIED