Bishop Lackey reminded the House that, at the June 1983 meeting of the House, Archbishop Hambidge, Archbishop Seaborn and he were appointed as a Task Force to study the matter of members of the Canadian Forces who wish to pursue the ordained ministry, and the place of ACPO [Advisory Committee on Postulants for Ordination].
Text of motion
That the written report be accepted as the working guidelines for the Canadian Forces personnel.
"When ACPO is contemplated for the Canadian Forces personnel, the following guidelines will be observed:
(1) The applicant must be co-sponsored by the Bishop Ordinary and a Diocesan Bishop.
(2) The Diocesan Bishop interviews the candidate and helps provide pastoral support through regular diocesan channels.
(3) If ordination is appropriate, then the Bishop Ordinary, at the request of the Diocesan or with permission of the Diocesan, may ordain.
(4) The ordained person may be considered for employment in the Diocese of the co-sponsoring Diocesan Bishop or until accepted into the Forces.
(5) If Provincial Postulancy is in effect, then this will be considered. CARRIED #3-2-84
The question of financial assistance for ACPO from the Armed Forces was raised.