In response to a Letter to the editor from Sharon Sharpe about the return of churches to Japanese Canadian Anglicans, Randy Murray, Communications officer, Diocese of New Westminster responded with a statement about the involvement of Anglican Japanese Canadians in the life of the diocese after World War II. "In 1955, Japanese-Canadian Anglicans who had returned to Vancouver or arrived in Vancouver were gathering for worship in the Chapel of the Blessed Sacrament at St. James Church, the original location of the Holy Cross Japanese Mission 50 years prior". "In 1970, on the 65th anniversary of the mission located at St. James', Holy Cross obtained parish status. The old building, which definitely had some challenges, served the parish until 1988, when the Holy Cross community was contacted by the parish of St. Peter's in East Vancouver to enter into discussions to merge". In the end, the congregation of Holy Cross moved into the building of St. Peter's and became the new Holy Cross. "The renovated building of the new parish was consecrated by Archbishop Douglas Hambidge on Holy Cross Day, 1989, in the presence of three Japanese bishops". "Holy Cross is important to the diocese of New Westminster, and it is an ongoing priority that Japanese-Canadian Anglican ministry has worship space available and adequate resources to sustain the continuing Holy Cross community. The current congregation of Holy Cross is a self-supporting and active parish of the diocese of New Westminster".