The Primate invited the Rev. Dr. Roland Kawano to speak. Dr. Kawano introduced Ms. Beverley Oda, Mrs. Elizabeth Loweth, Rev. John Park, Rev. Kenneth Fung, Rev. Peter Bishop and the Ven. Oscar Agard.
Dr. Kawano reported on two symposiums which have been sponsored by the Church. The Anglican Church of Canada, as part of the world-wide communion has had, and continues to have, a unique opportunity for cross-cultural experiences. The Eucharist is the common bond between peoples of all races and languages.
Ms. Oda noted that the Citizenship Act of Canada is celebrating its 40th anniversary. The Act us to be changed with the introduction of a Multi-Culturalism Act at the federal level and will promote equality in people participation. In the past the retention of various cultures and languages has been encouraged, but in the future there will be a need to integrate immigrants into the mainstream of the country which will benefit society culturally, socially and economically. The Charter of Rights and Freedom declares that the government may take action over and above fairness in order to redress an inequitable situation.
Concern was expressed that there was no Anglo-Saxon representation on multicultural groups. Concern was also expressed for Native people upon whom western culture has been imprinted.
1. That this National Executive Council receive with appreciation the report of the second national Multi-Cultural Symposium.
2. That this National Executive Council approve in principle a three-year multi-cultural program:
- to raise the consciousness of our Church to the varied gifts of its members and to the possibilities of a richer expression of our common life, and
- to achieve changes which will increase the participation of our many communities in the councils of the Church at every level, and
- authorizes an application for funding to the Secretary of State, the Hon. David Crombie.
3. That this National Executive Council requests the Executive Director of Program to supervise the implementation of the program and requests the Program Committee to provide guidance and review. CARRIED #32-05-87