That within Canon V, "The Department of Missions," the following be added as Clause (f) to Section 2 (Board of Management);
"(f) In addition to the clergy and lay members elected by the Synod or appointed by the Bishop as the case may be, under Clause (c), a Synod or Bishop may elect or appoint an equal number of substitute or alternate members, who may represent said diocese at any meeting of the Board of Management or at any meeting of the General Synod or Executive Council at which the report of the Board is considered, in place of those elected or appointed under Clause (c) unable to attend such meeting, and such substitute or alternate member or members shall have full privileges of membership during such meeting, but shall not displace the regularly elected or appointed member or members." (See pp. 67, 96.) RESOLVED Message L-41.
Message U-23 "The Upper House concurs in Messages L 38, L 39, L 40, L 41, L 42, L 43, L 44, L 45, L 50, L 51, L 52, L 53, L 54, L 55, L 56, L 57,L 59, L 63, L 64. (See pp. 38, 40, 41, 43, 48, 51, 52, 55, 56, 59, 96-99.)
Message L-41 - Canon V: The Department of Missions
That a new clause (f) be added to Section 2 ("Board of Management") of Canon V, "The Department of Mission" to read as follows: (For text of resolution see p. 40.)
The Upper House concurs in Message L-41 of the Lower House. (See p. 67.)
That Canon V - Department of Missions - be amended as follows: (The vote was taken on each section, as shown below)
(1) To strike out sub-section 2) of Section 2 as no longer applicable. CARRIED
(2) To amend Section 10 by striking out the word "heathen" in the fifth line, and substituting the word "other", so that it will read "Indian and other missions in Canada," and to strike out the word "foreign" in the same line and substitute the word "overseas" so as to read "overseas missionary work undertaken by the Church." CARRIED
(3) To amend Section II by adding the following words after the word "appeals" in line 1, "subject to Section 25 (sub-section 6) of Canon IX." CARRIED
(4) To strike out Section 13 and substitute the following:
"13. Missionary Education. In promoting the work and interest of the Society it shall be the duty of the Executive Committee, under the authority of the Bishops of the several dioceses, to arrange for missionary education to be carried on throughout Canada by all available means. Emphasis shall be laid upon the observance of the two appointed Missionary Sundays - the Sunday after Ascension Day and the Sunday next before Advent." CARRIED
(5) To amend Section 17 by striking out all words after the words "the Consolidated Trust Fund" in the eighth line thereof, and by substituting the words "in the name of the General Synod." CARRIED
(6) To strike out Section 18 and substitute the following therefor:
"18. Executive Committee
(1) The Board of Management shall elect annually six Bishops, six clergymen, six laymen and three women who, with the officers of the Society, and the President of the Dominion Board of the Women's Auxiliary shall constitute the Executive Committee of the Board. CARRIED
(2) Immediately following the annual meeting of the Board of Management the Executive Committee may co-opt additional members, not more than four. CARRIED
(3) The Executive Committee shall meet at least three times a year and promote the work and interest of the Society in every way open to them under the powers and instructions which may be given to them from time to time by the Board of Management. CARRIED
(4) The Executive Committee shall appoint:
(a) A Sub-Committee consisting of not more than ten members who shall act for the Executive Committee in cases of emergency and in matters referred to it by the Executive Committee. Such Sub-Committee may also submit recommendations to the Executive Committee regarding the work of the Society.
(b) A Finance Committee, consisting of not more than seven members together with the Chairman of the Executive Committee and the General Secretary, which Committee shall assist the Treasurer in managing the finances of the Society and shall prepare annually an estimate of the revenues and expenditures of the Board for the ensuing year for submission to the Executive Committee at its first regular meeting in the calendar year." CARRIED Message L-26.
In reviewing the proposed Canon V, it was agreed that the following changes be made:
2. BOARD OF MANAGEMENT
Item (a) - Delete "of Section 35."
Last line to read, "disbursed in connection with the work of the Society."
6. MANAGEMENT UNIT
Item (a) - Line 6 to read, "officers of the Society and the President, the Vice President and the Treasurer of".
7. RECEIPTS AND EXECUTION OF DOCUMENTS
Item (c) - Delete "receipts".
Moved by Chancellor R.H. Soward, seconded by Mr. G.C. Hodge,
That Canon V, as amended, be approved and forwarded to the Committee on Constitution and Canons for presentation to the General Synod in 1969.
That the National Executive Council approves Canon V by amending 7.(a) to read,
"All subscriptions, donations, bequests, collections or other funds received by the Society not designated by the donors for any specified object shall be designated by The Board of Management." CARRIED
Canon V - Department of Missions (amended as follows):
2. Board of Management
Subject to the authority of the General Synod, the work of the Society and of the Department of Missions shall be under the direction of a Board of Management composed of the members of the Upper House, two clergymen and two laymen elected by each Diocesan Synod at each regular meeting thereof (or where there is no Diocesan Synod, by the Bishop of the Diocese), the officers of the Society and ten members of the Women's Auxiliary nominated by the Dominion Board of said Women's Auxiliary as constituted for Annual Session and appointed by the remaining members of said Board of Management.
In line 5 after the word "Synod" insert "appointed"; make the whole of this Section subsection (1).
Section 2(1) as amended was adopted by both Houses.
Add as subsection (2) the following:
(2) In the case of a missionary diocese of the Church outside Canada, such Diocese shall be represented by one clergyman and one laymen appointed by the Bishop of said Diocese or elected by the Synod, Council or other representative board of said Diocese. ADOPTED by both Houses.
The Board of Management shall submit to the Synod at each session of the Synod its report, together with financial statements in respect of all funds held or moneys received or disbursed in connection with the Department of Missions, and such recommendations as it may deem necessary for giving effect to such report.
Commence this Section with the words "At each Session of the Synod and annual meeting of the Executive Council the Board, etc." ADOPTED by both Houses.
5. On the Consideration of Such Work and Report by the Synod
(a) All the members of the General Synod;
(b) All members of the Board of Management as hereinafter constituted; and
(c) All members (elective and ex-officio), of the Dominion Board of the Woman's Auxiliary as constituted for Annual Session, shall be entitled to be present, with the privilege of debate and of voting.
Add the word "and" to (a). Amend (b) to read "(b) All members of the Board of Management as herein constituted"; and strike out (c) to the words, "shall be entitled to be present with the privilege of debate and of voting." ADOPTED by both Houses.
In the first line read "(1) The Board of Management shall from time to time appoint an Apportionment Committee..."
(3) The Executive Committee shall consider and make recommendations to the Apportionment Committee in regard to the annual estimates and apportionments and shall confer with the Apportionment Committee for the final consideration and adoption of the said recommendations.
In the second line delete "the annual" and substitute therefor "such." ADOPTED by both Houses.
Deputations arranged by the Executive Committee shall be sent, under the authority of the Bishop of each Diocese, to every Parish or Mission annually, to give missionary information and procure help for the work the Board; and each Clergyman shall, in addition to reading the appeal or appeals, annually preach, or have preached by a clergyman representing the Board, to each congregation under his charge a Missionary Sermon, and subscriptions and donations shall be solicited for the general missionary work of the Church.
In the first line after the word "Committee" delete "shall" and read "to the extent of the agents and means available may be sent, etc."
In the second and third lines delete the words "to every Parish or Mission annually." ADOPTED by both Houses.
The Board of Management shall present at the time of each Session of the Synod a statement of all receipts, income, disbursements and expenditures, in respect of all funds held by it or moneys received or disbursed in connection with the Department of Missions.
In the first line delete "present at the time of" and substitute therefore "submit to." In the second line after the word "Synod" insert the words "and each meeting of the Executive Council." ADOPTED by both Houses.
22. The Executive Committee shall submit a report to each meeting of the Board of Management.
Amend Section 22 to read: The Executive Committee shall prepare and submit a report of its work to each meeting of the Board of Management and in the year in which the Synod may meet, a report to the Synod of the work of the Board and Department since the last Session of the Synod. ADOPTED by both Houses.
That Canon V - Archives be repealed and the following substituted therefore:
1. That Archives shall be administered by the Archivist.
2. The Archives Advisory Board shall consist of:
i) three members appointed by the Council of the General Synod
ii) one member of the Information Resources Committee, from among the members of the committee
iii) one member appointed by the Primate.
3. The Advisory Board shall:
a) elect its own chairperson;
b) develop and propose policy for the Archives to the Information Resources Committee;
c) establish, maintain and develop relationships among the archival agencies of The Anglican Church of Canada;
d) encourage, co-ordinate and assist archival programs in the dioceses, ecclesiastical provinces and other church agencies;
e) develop an increased awareness of the need to preserve the heritage of architecture and artifacts significant to the Anglican Church of Canada;
f) promote historical research and writing in cooperation with the Canadian Church Historical Society and other agencies;
g) report regularly to the Information Resources Committee.
4. The Archivist shall be appointed by the Council of the General Synod on the recommendation of the Primate.
5. Under the direction of the Information Resources Committee and in consultation with the Archives Advisory Board, the Archives shall:
a) establish and maintain a records management program for the active records and related papers of the General Synod and its committees, councils, boards and commissions;
b) collect, arrange, describe and preserve the permanent records and related papers of the General Synod and its committees, councils, boards and commissions;
c) collect, arrange and preserve the official papers of the Primate, the General Secretary and all other officers and employees of the General Synod;
d) receive, additional to the archives of the several ecclesiastical provinces, the records of the election, consecration, translation and installation of bishops of The Anglican Church of Canada, and the records of the election and installation of metropolitans;
e) encourage, co-ordinate and assist, in co-operation with their respective archivists, archival programs in the dioceses, ecclesiastical provinces and related agencies, including religious orders, ecumenical coalitions and theological colleges;
f) collect, arrange, describe and preserve any other documents, manuscripts, photographs, films and tapes pertaining to the history and activities of The Anglican Church of Canada.
Moved by Mrs. P. Creighton, seconded by Rev. R. Leggett,
That in section 3b) the words "develop and propose" be deleted and the word "formulate" be substituted; and that the words "to the Information Resources Committee" be deleted. DEFEATED
The original motion was then put and CARRIED. Act 41