Bishop Morgan drew attention to the document "The New Covenant" stating that appeals have been received from native people that the Sunday before the First Minister's Conference be designated a Day of Prayer.
That this House of Bishops respond to the request of Native leaders for the Churches to name a Day of Prayer to precede the final First Ministers' Conference to be held on March 26-27, by designating Sunday, March 22, as a Day of Prayer for Aboriginal Peoples:
And that we commend the document entitled "A New Covenant" prepared as a Pastoral Statement by leaders of the Christian Churches to be used as a focus for this Day of Prayer. CARRIED
"That in light of the Primates' Statement of October 16, 2003, we ask all parties involved in, or seeking, extra-territorial Episcopal oversight to stand down, and that legal proceedings against the bishop and clergy involved be stayed, for an initial period of three months to allow for the ministry of adequate alternative episcopal oversight to be put in place at the initiative of the Archbishop of Canterbury on behalf of the Primates."
Archbishop Hutchison gave notice that he and Archbishop Clarke had prepared a motion, which might be helpful for the conversation. Copies of it were distributed.
Moved by: Archbishop Clarke
Seconded by: Archbishop Hutchison
"That in response to the `Statement by the Primates of the Anglican Communion' (October 16, 2003) the Primate be asked to establish a task force of the House of Bishops
- to draw up terms and conditions for `adequate provision for Episcopal oversight of dissenting minorities' in the Anglican Church of Canada,
- to consult through the Primate `with the Archbishop of Canterbury on behalf of the Primates',
- and to report to the April 2004 meeting of the House of Bishops." (Note: see p. 24, when motion was put to a vote.)
That the motion be considered in a committee of the whole. CARRIED #HB-03-10-02
The discussion (about Bishop Burton's and Bishop Bruce's proposed motion) continued. Copies of a motion prepared by Archbishop Hutchison and Archbishop Finlay were distributed.
Moved by: Archbishop Hutchison
Seconded by: Archbishop Finlay
"That this House, to enable the work of the Task Force on Episcopal Oversight for Dissenting Minorities,
1. Request that the Bishop of Yukon refrain from exercising episcopal ministry in the Diocese of New Westminster.
2. Request that the Metropolitan of British Columbia and Yukon stay disciplinary proceedings against the Bishop of Yukon.
3. Request that the Bishop of New Westminster seek a stay of disciplinary proceedings against the priests of his diocese
4. Commend the disaffected parishes to the ministry of Bishop William Hockin as Episcopal Visitor."
Moved by: Archbishop Crawley
Seconded by: Bishop Lawrence
"That the House of Bishops rise from the committee of the whole." CARRIED Res. #HB-03-10-03