Message No.13, re Divinity Degrees was received from the Upper House.
Resolved, That Message No.13 from the Upper House on Divinity Degrees be concurred in.
No. 13 Divinity Degrees
Moved by the Bishop of Huron, seconded by the Bishop of Columbia,
1. That Canon X, Section III, Paragraph 3, be amended to read as follows:
"All candidates for the B.D. Degree, shall be required to pass the examination in Hebrew in the preliminary examination, or else present certificates of having taken and passed in a university course at least equivalent to this examination; provided that candidates who desire to present themselves without Hebrew may take as an alternative in the preliminary examination an adequate amount of Septuagint Greek, or present equivalent University certificates for the same."
2. And that those paragraphs of Section VI in Canon X, which refer to the Primate's power to confer Divinity Degrees, be deleted. Viz. Sec.6, Sub-section C, together with Paragraph "The Primate may" to "thereof," Page 570, Journal, 1921.
That while concurring in the principles involved in the Message No.13, re Divinity Degrees, from the Upper House, the Lower House does not concur in the motion to amend the Canon inasmuch as no notice of the motion has been given in accordance with the Constitution, and therefore recommends that the said Amendment shall stand as unfinished business and be dealt with at the next Session.
That the Prolocutor of the Lower House and such of the Assessors as may be present be requested to attend in the Upper House upon the subject of Message 13.
That the Lower House concurs in Message No.13 from the Upper House, re "Divinity Degrees."
Resolved, That the Upper House concurring, the Report be adopted and printed.
Report of the Board of Examiners for Divinity Degrees
Since the last Session of the Synod, the Board has met once and its Executive has held six meetings, copies of the Minutes of which have been supplied to each of the associated Universities and Colleges. Twenty-one candidates have passed for the degree of B.D. and nine for the V.P., as compared with twenty-four and six respectively during the preceding triennium. Two candidates have passed for the degree of D.D. The syllabus of studies has been revised and re-issued for the years 1924-29.
After long and careful consideration the Board has agreed that it is expedient that elementary Hebrew be no longer exacted as a pre-requisite for the degree of B.D., provided that candidates who desire to present themselves without Hebrew be required to take an adequate amount of Septuagint Greek as an alternative in the first examination for the degree of B.D.
With reference to the power to be vested in the Primate for the conferring of Divinity Degrees as provided for in the Canon, the Board would draw attention to the fact that since the Canon was drawn up in 1915 the situation has materially changed in respect to the necessity for obtaining such power for the Primate. Of the ten associated colleges only one (the Montreal Diocesan College) is now without power under its charter to grant Divinity Degrees, and the Board of Governors of the Montreal Diocesan College, in view of the fact that this College now stands alone in this regard, will approach the Quebec Legislature at its coming Session with a request for degree-conferring power.
In view of this, and considering the serious difficulties which have thus far made all efforts to secure the proposed power for the Primate inoperative, the Board is of the opinion that there is no longer any necessity to seek for this legislation.
The whole is respectfully submitted for the information of the Synod.
The Synod resumed consideration of the Report of the Committee on Revision of the Constitution and Canons, commencing with Canon XXIV, Degrees in Divinity, having also before it the motion of Dr. Abbott-Smith to amend the Canon:
That Canon X - Degrees in Divinity - be amended as follows:
(1) In Section I, paragraph 1, line 2, delete "Preliminary Examination for Holy Orders" and substitute "Title of Scholar in Theology."
(2) In Section III, paragraph 1, delete the word "either" in line 1 with bracketed numeral following, and in line 2 the words, "in Arts." Also delete all words to the end of the paragraph following "The Board" in line 3.
(3) Delete paragraph 2.
(4) In paragraph 6, delete all words in the paragraph following "that he has" in line 4, and substitute therefor the following: "taken the prescribed course of theology in the same, or an equivalent certificate."
(5) In Section IV, paragraph 1, delete the words, "except the Preliminary examination for Holy Orders."
(6) Delete paragraph 2.
(7) In paragraph 4, lines and 2, delete the words, "to the Metropolitan of each Ecclesiastical Province, and"; and in paragraph 5, line 3, after "University" add the word "College"; and in line 4, delete the words, "or by the Metropolitan if conferred by him."
(8) In Section VII, line 6, delete the words, "for examination for V.P. - $5.00" and substitute "for examination for S.Th. - $10.00."
Candidates passed by the Board of Examiners in accordance with the above regulations and standards may proceed to their degrees in one of the following ways: (a) At the University with which such candidate is connected, under the chartered power of conferring degrees enjoyed by that University; (b) at any College which possesses degree-conferring powers such as those given St. John's College, Winnipeg, by the University Act of Manitoba, under the powers possessed by such College; (c) in the Ecclesiastical Province of Canada, by the Metropolitan Archbishop, under the authority of legislation enacted by the legislatures of the several civil Provinces within said Ecclesiastical Province, empowering said Metropolitan to confer said degrees.
Change Section 28 to Section 9(1) and delete all the words following "College" in the seventh line.
29. The Registrar of the General Synod shall keep a record of all degrees conferred under the Board, the particulars of which shall be sent to him by the University at which such degrees are conferred, or by the Metropolitan if conferred by him.
Change Section 29 to 9(2); in the third line after the word "University" insert "or College"; and delete all the words after "conferred."
(1) The hood for the certificate of the Preliminary Examination shall be of black stuff with a border of crimson stuff two inches wide.
(2) The hoods for the degrees of Bachelor of Divinity and Doctor of Divinity shall be those belonging to the College from which the candidate takes his degree.
Change Section 31 to Section 10, and amend to read: (1) The hood for the title of Scholar in Theology shall be of black stuff with a border of white silk two and one half inches wide. ADOPTED by both Houses.