That the Pension Board be authorized to conduct a Special Names campaign to provide capital funds to augment the pensions of members of the Pension Plan who do not enjoy Canada Pension Plan benefits, and other similar purposes; and that the Pension Committee be given the primary responsibility for organizing this campaign in consultation with the Task Force on Funding National Goals; and
that the Task Force which will conduct this campaign be nominated by the Pension Committee, and appointed by the Officers of Synod; and that the Task Force be directed to report both interim and final plans to the Officers of Synod for their approval prior to implementation. CARRIED
The Program Committee expressed their concern over the budget limits for 1975 and at the continuing decrease, and recommends that the National Executive Council make allowance for the increase in the inflationary index in its requests to the dioceses.
That the recommendation of the Program Committee concerning the making of allowances for the increase in the inflationary index in its requests to the dioceses be sent to the Task Force on Funding National Goals for their reflection and that it be requested to submit an interim report at the May, 1974 meeting of the National Executive Council. CARRIED
1) approval be given for a major campaign to raise funds for new priorities in diocesan and national programs, subject to approval by National Executive Council by March 1971 as to the style, timing and national dollar goals, of the campaign;
2) the Task Force on Funding National Goals be authorized to commission a feasibility study, including discussion with all dioceses, on the style, timing and national financial goal of the campaign, for report to the National Executive Council by March 1981, and that the cost of the study be charged as an extra assessment budget item;
3) the Primate be authorized to appoint up to 20 persons to a national committee to be responsible for a major campaign; and that the committee report regularly to the National Executive Council;
4) Anglican Appeals be authorized for the years 1981 and 1982 and for 1983 if necessary.
The Ven. E. Rigby, Chairman of the Task Force on Funding National Goals, presented the Report of the Task Force. He thanked Mr. Don Burpee for his hard work on the Joint Task Force which arranged Appeal `74 and the Rev. R. Fellows and others of the National staff for their support.
Archdeacon Rigby made reference to Appeal `74 and informed Synod that Appeal `75 will take place in late November.
Mr. D.M. Burpee was called upon to introduce a National Executive Council resolution on national appeals for 1976 and 1977.
"That this General Synod approve a National Appeal in each of the years 1976 and 1977 and that the Joint Task Force on Funding National Goals be asked to set overall financial targets after the Appeal purposes have been approved by the National Executive Council."
CARRIED Act 33
The Prolocutor thanked Archdeacon Rigby and Mr. Burpee for their presentation.
That this National Executive Council approve in principle the following resolutions with final decision in November 1981.
1. The Task Force on Funding National Goals be discharged and replaced by a Funding Strategy Unit.
2. That the Funding Strategy Unit consist of fifteen persons, not necessarily members of the Council or Committees, five appointed by each of the National Executive Council, the Program Committee and the Administration and Finance Committee with the following terms of reference:
a) Develop strategies for using budget projections prepared by the Program Committee and other Committees as appropriate.
b) Gather such information from dioceses as will inform the Funding Strategy Unit on the financial climate of the Church.
c) Arrange for regular consultation and dialogue with diocesan leadership to share General Synod and diocesan financial and program projections and solicit diocesan support for General Synod program and budget needs.
d) Consider and recommend ways of developing financial and other resources to meet the ongoing needs and particular opportunities as they emerge.
e) Report regularly to the Church on the ways the funding of goals of the Church is being accomplished.
f) Encourage implementation on Goal V which is "To challenge Canadian Anglicans to become better stewards of the Gifts of God; to encourage their participation in the Church; and to give joyfully of their financial and other resources so that Christ's ministry and mission might be carried out"; and to liaise with appropriate staff,.
g) Encourage dioceses to participate in the renewed membership, stewardship and funding initiatives approved by the 1980 General Synod.
3. That the Funding Strategy Unit report to National Executive Council through either the Administration and Finance Committee or Program Committee. CARRIED
That responsibility be assigned to the Task Force on Funding National Goals for decision of the division of Funds raised in the Anglican Appeal 1979, bearing in mind the emphasis that there was in the original Appeal. CARRIED
Archdeacon Hobson brought to the attention of the Council the Pension Appeal and asked if there were any questions concerning this matter.
Moved by McPherrin
Seconded by Cazes
That the National Executive Council be asked to approve, in principle, a Pension Fund Appeal in 1977 or 1978.
Concern was expressed that this Appeal would just be one more Appeal.
That this matter be referred to the Task Force on Funding National Goals and other appropriate bodies, to allow for further discussion and to consider one large Appeal, and then to report back to the next meeting of this Council. CARRIED
The motion as amended was CARRIED.
Moved by McPherrin
Seconded by Cazes
That thanks and a vote of confidence be extended to both the Ven. E. Hobson and Mrs. J. Mason. CARRIED
The Rev. Canon Malcolm Evans was welcomed to the meeting and gratitude was expressed for the time he was spending with the Council. Canon Evans presented the report of the Task Force and comments and questions were requested from the floor.
1. That the Appeal in 1979 should be as at present with a target in excess of one million dollars.
2. That the National Executive Council authorizes the Joint Task Force on Funding National Goals to approach the dioceses and appropriate national committees with a view to discussing the possibility of implementing a new national appeal in 1980 along the following lines:
a) an approach to Church members in all dioceses by direct mail to support the diocesan and national programs, alongside support from the parishes through apportionment combinations;
b) identification to such members of the total diocesan budget needs, plus the share of the national programme, now supported by diocesan apportionment and assessment and appeal combinations;
c) a specific request from each diocesan bishop that members should respond by weekly offerings to support the work of the parish and diocese and to make a special offering in the Fall to support the diocesan and national programme work;
d) the provision of printed and visual materials for use in dioceses and parishes for mailing to members to publicize and support this unified Appeal. CARRIED