That the NEC or it successor establish a Mission Audit Team which, in cooperation with the Implementation Team for "Preparing the Way", would examine the current Mission Statement and activity of each committee, council and board of the General Synod to:
- ensure relevancy to the vision of General Synod which gave reason for its existence;
- decipher the degree of inter-unit cooperation and sharing so that common goals are indentified and supported;
- explore the method of operation of the unit so that the means and end result are in accord with the current mission and direction of the General Synod;
- report to the NEC with appropriate recommendations on the adequacy of resourcing for the task which the unit has been called to do, and the methods which may be developed to seek additional funds beyond budget allotments, so that conflict may be avoided where possible;
- make such other comments and recommendations touching the ministry activity of the committees, councils and boards of the General Synod as it deems necessary and appropriate. CARRIED #48-03-95
That a Mission Coordination Group be established, as outlined on page 60 of The Strategic Plan. CARRIED
APPENDIX C [Page] 60
MISSION COORDINATION GROUP
One representative (the Chair or designate) from:
- Partners in Mission Committee
- Social Justice Committee
- PWRDF Committee
- Information Resources Committee
- Financial Management and Development Committee
- Faith, Worship, and Ministry Committee
- Council for Native Ministries
- Council of the North
Two members of Council of General Synod who will co-chair the group
Promote effective mission
Provide a forum for collaboration and coordination on:
- education programs in the dioceses and parishes
- networking across the country
- other areas of common interest
Support and assist the participating groups in developing priorities, strategies, and budgets
Consult and devise a common approach, including funding, with regard to the ecumenical coalitions
Report to the Council of General Synod on any unresolved issues
Rationale - This is developed as a result of the learning that there is an increased need for collaboration among the various committees of General Synod, particularly as they relate to parishes and dioceses. Building on the experience of the NEC's Coordinating Committee, it moves beyond information-sharing to strategic collaboration.
Comments - This group is designed to support and facilitate collaboration, not to enforce collaboration.
Ms. Cynthia Haines Turner and Dean Nicholas Parker presented the report of the Mission Coordination Group noting that `The New Agape' and anti-racism had been added to its mandate for the triennium.
Dr. Ellie Johnson and Ms. Donna Bomberry outlined the Binder Project. The concept is to collect materials, translate (if necessary) and assemble it into binders, which would be made available to dioceses and to those within networks to ensure as wide a distribution as possible. In loose-leaf form, the material could be easily updated on an ongoing basis and would be readily accessible to the many indigenous communities that do not have access to email and databases.
That this Council of General Synod affirm the Binder Project and designate the Mission Co-ordination Group responsible for the co-ordination of the project. CARRIED #18-11-01
Ms. Barbara Burrows and Archdeacon Peter Zimmer presented the report. Due to budget reductions for 2006, there will be no further meetings of this committee; however, the coordination of work needs to continue. It was noted that the Terms of Reference for the Mission Coordination Group and the Planning and Agenda Team overlap in significant ways and that continuation of the work would be possible through the Planning and Agenda Team. The committee has sent a message to Dr. Ellie Johnson, asking that minutes of committees, councils and boards be circulated electronically to all chairs and all principal staff.
Motion to Refer
Moved by: Mr. Peter Irish
Seconded by: Mr. Peter Zimmer
That the motion be referred to the Governance Working Group. DEFEATED
Vote on the Motion.
That this Council of General Synod direct the Planning and Agenda Team to take up the work that has hitherto been done by the Mission Coordination Group, namely coordination of the work of its Standing Committees, Councils and Boards, and identification and action on gaps and overlaps in this work. CARRIED #15-11-05
Dean Nick Parker and Ms. Cynthia Haines-Turner presented the report of the Mission Coordination Group, stressing the need for a meeting of Committee Chairs early in the triennium to create a sense of coming together and a moving ahead on the agenda.
Moved by: Dean Nick Parker
Seconded by: Ms. Cynthia Haines Turner
That the General Secretary convene a meeting of the Chairs of Standing Committees early in the next triennium for the purpose of orientation and collaboration.
Motion to table
That this motion be tabled and referred for consideration by the Council of General Synod in November 2003. CARRIED #11-11-02
The motion tabled earlier in the meeting was returned to the floor. It had been...
That the following recommendations from the Mission Coordination Group be referred to the newly elected Council of General Synod for consideration:
1) that diocesan consultations continue in the next triennium and that dioceses give these gatherings a high priority, allocating no less than a day to the consultation,
2) that, in the next triennium, the terms of reference for standing committees and councils be revised to reflect the new priority of healing and walking in partnership,
3) that, in the next triennium, the Mission Co-ordination Group be involved in the overall co-ordination of the integrated fundraising strategy proposed by the Financial Management and Development Committee,
4) that the Mission Co-ordination Group continues in the next triennium and that it includes a representative from the Primate's World Relief and Development Fund. CARRIED #63-03-01
That the Council of General Synod approve the revised Terms of Reference for the Planning and Agenda Team to reflect the coordination of the work of its Standing Committees, Councils and Boards as requested by the Council at its meeting November 2005. CARRIED
The Planning and Agenda Team’s Terms of Reference are attached as Appendix D.
REVISED TERMS OF REFERENCE OF PLANNING AND AGENDA TEAM
(incorporating the work of the former Mission Coordination Group)
Draft 2, April 11, 2006
- To assist the Council of General Synod in visioning, planning and management of the mission of General Synod and to enhance communications amongst the standing Committees of the General Synod.
- Plan the agenda for Council of General Synod to ensure time for networking, reflection and business.
- Convene one meeting per year (one afternoon prior to CoGS meeting) of CoGS members who serve on standing committees for the purpose of information sharing regarding agendas, priorities, initiatives, joint ventures etc.
- Review job descriptions of Council Members, terms of reference of Council, and of committees and councils at the beginning of each triennium including the work of ensuring good communication between standing committees and councils and the Council of General Synod.
- Encourage and facilitate the Council of General Synod in its visioning and planning responsibilities and assist participating groups -- including Standing Committees -- in developing priorities, and identifying areas of collaboration and cooperation
- Ensure educational sessions at each Council of General Synod meeting and assist in the design of the sessions.
- Enable the evaluation of activities and initiatives of the Council of General Synod and encourage the sharing of self evaluation of each standing committee's self evaluation.
- Enhance communications between standing committees and councils of General Synod.
- Provide assistance to the Primate and the Prolocutor in meeting management and evaluation strategies.
Archdeacon Boyles advised that the Mission Coordination Group had discussed the coordination of Council task groups without bypassing the standing committee structure. With Council's permission, the following resolution from the Mission Coordination Group was presented.
That this Council of General Synod add a new Section 4 to Appendix B(1) of the Handbook (Guidelines for Sub-Units of Standing Committees):
When a task is identified by a committee, by the Mission Coordination Group or by the Council of General Synod which is of concern to more than one standing committee, a lead committee shall be identified by the Mission Coordination Group or the Council of General Synod and a task force or work group appointed which will include members of other concerned standing committees. The sub-group will report to the lead committee.
The Mission Coordination Group will be notified of the progress of such sub-group.
The lead committee shall negotiate budget and staff support. CARRIED #05-03-98