That for this Twenty-fifth Session of this Synod, sub-section 8 of section 28 Part V of the Constitution, (page 26), be suspended, and that for the year 1971 the General Synod Assessment be due and payable on or before September 30, 1971. CARRIED IN BOTH HOUSES
[Recorded as No. 4 in Acts of Synod, p. 66. List of Acts includes actions which are NOT resolutions/acts.]
Moved by The Hon. R. Stevenson, seconded by Archdeacon J. Boyles,
That the Canons be amended by:
a) Canon II - Section 3 - Deleting references to Administration and Finance Committee and replacing with Financial Management and Development Committee.
b) Canon III, Section 13 - Deleting references to Administration and Finance Committee and replacing with Financial Management and Development Committee.
c) deleting the words Administration and Finance Committee wherever they appear in the Canons and substituting the words Financial Management and Development Committee.
d) deleting Section 3e) of Canon VIII and substituting therefor:
"e) The members of the committee may elect one of their number to be vice-chairperson of the committee."
e) deleting the words Committee on Ministry in section 4(a) of Canon XII and substituting the words Pension Committee.
That, in reference to item d)e) above, Section 3e) of Canon VIII be printed in the Handbook of the General Synod as follows:
Notwithstanding Section 41k) of the Constitution, at the first meeting, the ex-officio, elected and appointed members may elect one of their number as chairperson and may elect another as vice-chairperson. CARRIED Act 35
The amended motion was then put and CARRIED. Act 36
To amend Section 28, Subsection (6), Clause (a) to read as follows:
"(a) The necessary travelling expenses of the members of the Executive Council attending a meeting of said Council, on the same scale as is authorized to be paid to members of the Synod." CARRIED Message L-32.
That the Council recommends to General Synod that section 33(a)(vi) of the Constitution be amended to read:
vi) one youth member of the General Synod from each ecclesiastical province to be elected by the General Synod on the nomination of the members of the Orders of Bishops, Clergy and Laity from each ecclesiastical province meeting together, provided that no ecclesiastical province may make more than one nomination;
and that section 33(f)(ii) of the Constitution be amended to read:
(ii) in the case of a member elected under the provisions of subsection 33(a)(vi), be filled by the Prolocutor, in consultation with the appropriate metropolitan, provided that the person so named shall be a youth member of the General Synod from the same ecclesiastical province as that to which the former member of the Council belonged at the time of his or her election to the Council. CARRIED #33-03-01
That the decision to delete the words "clergy and lay" before "members" in Sub-Section 5 of Section 14 of the Constitution (in the Handbook of General Synod page 22) be confirmed.
The Sub-Section will then read:
5. In the event of a vacancy in the Office of Deputy Prolocutor, by death, resignation or otherwise the members of the National Executive Council present at the next Session of the National Executive Council shall elect a Deputy Prolocutor who shall perform all the duties of the office until the next session of the Synod and the election of a Deputy Prolocutor.
That the present Section 32 of the Constitution (in the Handbook of General Synod pages 27 and 28) be deleted, and the following inserted as Section 32:
32. Standing Committees
1. The following Standing Committees shall consist of eighteen members, each elected by General Synod, at least twelve of whom are members of General Synod, and three of whom are members of the National Executive Council. Geographical representation and need for expertise shall be the principle criteria for membership:
i) Doctrine and Worship Committee
ii) Inter-Church Relations Committee
iii) Long Range Planning Committee
iv) Committee on Ministry
v) Organization Committee
vi) Program Committee
(The memberships of the Administration and Finance Committee and the Pension Committee are outlined in Canons VI and VIII respectively.)
2. The outgoing Committees shall be required to submit nominations to the General Synod Nominating Committee thirty days prior to a meeting of General Synod.
3. The Standing Committees shall report to General Synod and regularly to the National Executive Council.
4. The terms of reference of the Standing Committees are set out in Appendix A. In the case of necessity the terms of reference of any Committee may be amended by the National Executive Council and submitted for confirmation to the next General Synod.