That the Primate, after consultation with the House of Bishops, be requested to initiate discussion with the provinces and dioceses of the Anglican Church of Canada regarding:
1) the possible reform of the provincial organization of the Anglican Church of Canada, and, in particular, whether the effectiveness and efficiency of the Anglican Church of Canada would be significantly improved by:
- a) entirely eliminating the four provinces from the organizational structure of the church and transferring the powers and authority the provinces presently hold to the General Synod, or
- b) maintaining the existing provincial structure for some part of its present purpose and transferring part of provincial power and authority, for example part or all of provincial legislative authority, to the General Synod, or
- c) reorganizing the dioceses into groupings with greater common goals, concerns, needs and interests than the collections of dioceses forming the existing provinces.
2) the possible reform of the diocesan organization of the Anglican Church of Canada, in particular by:
- a) adjusting diocesan boundaries to reflect modern transportation patterns and population shifts created by social and economic changes,
- b) reducing the number of dioceses within the Anglican Church of Canada,
- c) implementing any other change that might improve the effectiveness, efficiency, or economy of the operation of dioceses.
The mover and seconder accepted a friendly amendment from the Rev. Stephen Peake to add the words ‘enhance the mission and’ in item 2) c) after the word ‘might’. Item 2) c) now reads:
- c) implementing any other change that might enhance the mission and improve the effectiveness, efficiency or economy of the operation of dioceses.
The amended motion was then put and CARRIED AS AMENDED Act 50