That this National Executive Council of the Anglican Church of Canada adopt the following policy and urge that policy upon the Canadian government:
1. That urgent measures be undertaken to cancel outstanding debt owed by sub-Saharan African countries including debts to the Export Development Corporation and to the Canadian Wheat Board.
2. That Canada support alternatives to assist economic recovery and development as outlined in the "African Alternative Framework to Structural Adjustment Programmes" and the "African Charter for Popular Participation in Development."
3. That Africa remain on the U.N. agenda by keeping the primary responsibility for coordinating and monitoring programmes with the U.N. and not the Global Coalition for Africa.
4. That the Canadian government address the African economic crisis at all appropriate multi-lateral fora in which Canada participates, such as the Commonwealth, la Francophonie and the G-7. CARRIED #44-11-91
1. the standing committees presently funding ecumenical coalitions to take the above priorities into account in developing grants to coalitions in 1997;
2. those standing committees whose coalition work is funded by the apportionment budget to allow some loosening of the "coalition baskets" in order to permit movement of unallocated funds outside the "baskets" to coalitions that have successfully remandated;
3. the Anglican Council of Indigenous Peoples to consider becoming a funding partner of The Aboriginal Rights Coalition in 1997. CARRIED #35-03-96