That the Report of this Committee [Church House Management Committee] be adopted with the following addition:
This report was written in April of this year. Since then meetings have been held by the various Departments and we have been able to discuss with the architects the size and general character of a proposed new building. As a result of these deliberations it is apparent that a suitable building approximately 130 x 40 feet could be erected across the front of the property at 604 Jarvis Street, Toronto, at a cost between $185,000 and $200,000.
A simple plan indicating the position of the new building on the property is in your hands. It should be stated that the space occupied both at 604 and 596 Jarvis Street will continue to be occupied as at present. The new building will afford the urgently needed extra space required by the several Departments, and possibly a rest room for visiting Bishops, Clergy and laymen.
There is on hand at the present time the sum of approximately $80,000 in the Church House Office Extension Fund.
Plans are already under way, whereby several of the departments will loan temporarily the balance of the money required.
Therefore - this Synod approves of the erection of a building at 604 Jarvis Street, Toronto, at a cost not to exceed $200,000, and directs the Board of Finance to arrange the financing by using the funds of the General Synod now in hand for the extension of Church House, and by borrowing any required balance from the Departments of General Synod and the Woman's Auxiliary on such terms as the Board of Finance may arrange. CARRIED in both Houses.
That this General Synod request the National Executive Council to review the subject of the location of the National Office giving consideration to a range of other site location possibilities within a reasonable distance of the Pearson International Airport.
Following considerable discussion, it was -
That this General Synod end debate on the above motion. CARRIED Act 152
That this General Synod instruct the Financial Management Committee, in carrying out its function under Canon VI, section 3, to provide the Council of General Synod, at its meeting in the fall of 2010, with a full range of options regarding budgetary cuts based upon the Vision 2019 document, for consideration prior to approving the budget for 2011.
Call for Information
Archdeacon Harry Huskins called for additional information on the effects of the motion. The Treasurer responded.
Point of Order
Mr. David Johnstone rose on a point of order to ask if partners had a voice on the floor of Synod. The assessors advised that Section 3c) of the 'Rules of Order and Procedure' allows for partners to participate in discussion.
That this General Synod approves in principle of the plan of repayment of the debt on Church House as adopted by the Executive Council in November, 1954, but gives the Board of Finance discretion to lengthen the period of repayment, if, in view of other financial commitments, it is desirable. CARRIED in both Houses.
During the presentation of this report the Archbishop of Quebec brought news of the serious illness of the Premier of Quebec.
Moved by the Ven. R.K. Naylor, seconded by the Deputy Prolocutor, and resolved:
"That a message of sympathy be sent to the Premier."
Discussion was continued on the motion of Chancellor Soward, and the Rt. Rev. G.B. Snell, and the amendment proposed by the Very Rev. J.O. Anderson which is as follows:
"That this General Synod, being fully aware of the urgent necessity of more space in Church House, requests an enlarged Church House Building Committee to give further study to the question of the site, nature and extent of the buildings required for the work of the various departments of the Church, and that this committee, after consultation with the Board of Finance, report to the next meeting of the Executive Council of General Synod, which shall have power to act in this matter."
After considerable discussion, the question was put, and the amendment was lost in the Lower House, (For 79; Against 129.)
Discussion then took place on Section 3 of the substantive resolutions. (See p. 15.)
Moved in amendment by Chancellor J.D. Harrison, seconded by Mr. P.A. Dumoulin.
That Section 3 of the substantive resolution be amended to read as follows:
"That upon completion of the final plans and specifications the Board of Finance be authorized and empowered to call for tenders for the erection of Units B and C and subject to the approval of the Central Executive Committee, to enter into a firm contract at a fixed cost or upset price for the construction of such units at an overall cost of approximately $600,000, with full discretion to the Board of Finance to make such alterations in the plans and such upward or downward revision in the cost as may seem advisable in the light of circumstances existing at the time a final tender price is available."
The question was put, and the amendment was CARRIED in both Houses.
That Sections 1, 2, 3, as amended, 4 and 5 of the Substantive Resolutions be adopted (see p. 250).
CARRIED in both Houses.
Chancellor R.H. Soward gives notice that he will move the following resolutions:
- 1. That the Board of Finance be authorized and instructed to take all necessary steps and do all acts required to acquire from the authorities of St. Paul's Church, Bloor Street East, Toronto, sufficient land to the west of the General Synod property at 600 Jarvis Street to enable the General Synod to satisfy the building by-laws of the city of Toronto in respect of a parking requirements for the erection of a seven story office building on the General Synod property.
- 2. That the Board of Finance be authorized and instructed to engage Messrs. Mathers and Haldenby as Architects to prepare detailed working plans and specifications for the erection for Unit B and C of a building programme as submitted to this Synod, such units to contain three floors and basement with foundations sufficient in respect of Unit C to carry seven floors above grade and such units to be fully air conditioned.
- 3. That, upon completion of the final plans and specifications, the Board of Finance be authorized and empowered to call for tenders for the erection of Units B and C and to award a tender for the construction of such units at an overall cost of approximately $600,000, with full discretion to the Board of Finance to make such alterations in the plans and such upward or downward revision in the cost as may seem advisable in the light of circumstances existing at the time a final tender price is available.
- 4. That the Board of Finance on behalf of the General Synod and in consultation with the Central Executive be empowered to borrow such sums of money by mortgage or otherwise as may be required to finance the building programme for Units B and C, and that the proper officers of General Synod be empowered and authorized to execute all necessary and requisite documents required to carry out such borrowings.
- 5. That, in financing the repayment of capital borrowed for the above building programme, the Board of Finance be authorized to use Prayer Book and Hymn Book royalties and to raise such additional sums required either by way of assessment or apportionment.
Recommendation 1 - That, while awaiting the enlargement of Church House, the Committee proceed with plans for the establishment of One Church Book Room, the function of which shall be the sale, distribution and rental of all supplies of literature, publications and visual aids of the three Boards and of General Synod, together with theological and devotional literature and such other general literature as may be required. CARRIED in both Houses.