That Canon XVI "Department of Literature and Supplies" be adopted as follows:
CANON XVI - DEPARTMENT OF LITERATURE AND SUPPLIES
1. There shall be a Department of the General Synod for the supply, sale and distribution of all manner of supplies, including books, theological literature, periodicals, pamphlets, leaflets, papers, music, Church furniture and furnishings of every nature and kind, Sunday School supplies, visual aids, films, slides, and projectors and other related equipment, such department to be called "The Department of Literature and Supplies" with a secondary title "Anglican Book Centre." The Department shall be administered by a Board as hereinafter provided.
2. The Board:
(1) The Board shall consist of:
(a) The Primate, the Prolocutor, and the Honorary Treasurer of General Synod, ex officio;
(b) Two persons appointed by the Executive Committee of the Missionary Society;
(c) Two persons appointed by the Executive Committee of the General Board of Religious Education;
(d) Two persons appointed by the Executive Committee of the Council for Social Service.
(e) Two persons appointed by the Executive of the Dominion Board of the Woman's Auxiliary;
(f) Four persons appointed by the Executive Council of the General Synod, at least one of whom shall be a bishop;
(g) The Director of the Department;
(h) Three persons co-opted by the Board and not necessarily members of the Synod.
(2) The General Secretaries of the Departments of Missions, Religious Education and Christian Social Service and the Editorial Secretary of the General Board of Religious Education shall be members of the Board, without vote and shall not be eligible for appointment under the provisions of subsection 1.
(3)(a) All members of the Board appointed under subsection (1) shall be appointed for terms of three years or until the next General Synod, but shall be eligible for reappointment.
(b) All such appointments shall be made by the respective executive committees at their first meeting following a session of the General Synod.
(4) Vacancies occurring by reason of death, resignation, removal from Canada, or by a member ceasing to be a member of the General Synod, or appointing body, shall be filled by the Executive Committee of the appointing body for the remainder of the term.
(5) Seven members of the Board shall constitute a quorum.
(6) The Board shall meet at least once a year at the call of the officers or the Executive Committee.
(1) The Primate shall be chairman of the Board.
(2) The Board shall, at its first meeting following the annual meeting of the Executive Council in each year or the meeting of the General Synod, elect a vice-chairman and a secretary, who shall continue in office until the next such meeting.
(3) The Board shall from time to time appoint a Director who shall, subject to the authority of the Board, supervise the affairs of the Department and shall perform such duties as may be ordered by the Board or its Executive Committee.
4. Executive Committee
(1) The Board shall appoint an Executive Committee composed of the officers of the Board and of not less than three or more than six members of the Board, which shall carry on the work of the Board between meetings of the Board and in particular:
(a) Authorize the appointment and dismissal of members of the staff and determine their terms of employment.
(b) Unless the Board otherwise determines, act as a nominating committee for the officers of the Board, the co-opted members of the Board, and the selection of the various committees and sub-committees.
(c) Arrange, prepare and initiate special business of the Board.
(d) Consider and report on matters referred to it by the Board.
(e) Recommend to the Board suitable by-laws for the regulation of the affairs of the Department.
5. Finance Committee and Sub-Committees
(1) There shall be a Finance Committee of the Board, consisting of the Director, and three other members elected by the Executive Committee. The Finance Committee shall report to the Executive Committee and/or the Board.
(2) The Executive Committee may appoint sub-committees as may be necessary to carry on the work of the Department, and may define their duties. Such sub-committees may include other than members of the Board.
6. Powers of the Board
(1) Subject to the authority of the General Synod and/or the Executive Council, the Department and Board shall have authority and power:
(a) To purchase, market, sell and distribute books, literature, periodicals, pamphlets, leaflets, papers, music and religious literature.
(b) To purchase, market, sell and distribute Church furniture and furnishings of every nature and kind.
(c) To purchase, market, sell and distribute Sunday School supplies, visual aids, audio-visual aids, films, slides, projectors and other related equipment.
(d) To publish and distribute leaflets, pamphlets and books respecting the Church and its activities, or in respect of its history, doctrines, mission, traditions and practice.
(e) To assist the several Departments of the General Synod in the carrying out of their programmes.
(f) To act as agent or contractor in respect of any of the foregoing objects on behalf of, or in co-operation with, the General Synod, any Diocesan or Provincial Synod, parish, Church Society, organization, university or college.
(g) To organize such sub-departments or branches as it may deem necessary in the administration of the affairs of the Board.
(2) Subject to the provisions of this Canon, the Board may make by-laws for the regulation of the affairs of the Department and Board, the frequency and conduct of meetings of the Board, its executive and committees, the appointment of the officers and employees, their remuneration and the definition of their duties.
(3) The Board, with the approval of the Executive Council, may become incorporated by Special Act of the Parliament of Canada or the Legislature of any Province of Canada.
The Board or the Executive, by direction of the Board, shall make a report of its work, together with financial statements, to each meeting of the Synod and Executive Council. CARRIED in both Houses.
Recommendation 1 - That, while awaiting the enlargement of Church House, the Committee proceed with plans for the establishment of One Church Book Room, the function of which shall be the sale, distribution and rental of all supplies of literature, publications and visual aids of the three Boards and of General Synod, together with theological and devotional literature and such other general literature as may be required. CARRIED in both Houses.