1. Affirm the Development Goal of the United Nations for each developed country to contribute 0.7% of its gross national product to Official Development Assistance (ODA) in developing countries.
2. Request the General Secretary to write to the Government of Canada by June 30, 2004, urging it to act on the 0.7% Development Goal, using the proposal of the Canadian Council of International Cooperation for reaching this goal by 2015:
- To increase foreign aid by 12% annually between 2009 -- an additional $750 million over the next three years to increases already planned
- To increase foreign aid by 15% between 2009-2015.
3. Affirm the challenge of the 1998 Lambeth Conference to dioceses and provinces of the Anglican Communion to provide 0.7% of their own resources to fight global poverty.
4. Request the Primate
- to encourage Anglicans to give their generous support to the PWRDF and Anglican Appeal, which together with the Partnerships budget of General Synod, represent the Anglican Church of Canada's financial commitment to supporting international development programs, fighting poverty, and strengthening international and intra-Anglican partnerships.
- to report to the Anglican Communion by August 31, 2004, through the Task Team on Poverty and Trade, on the Anglican Church of Canada's contributions to development and poverty work to help give a complete picture of the Anglican Communion's efforts to achieve Millennium Development Goals. CARRIED WITHOUT DEBATE Act 28
The General Secretary reported the following correspondence:
a) Diocese of Calgary, January 31, 1974 - officially inviting General Synod, 1977 to meet in the City of Calgary. (To be dealt with in the Report of the Committee on Organization).
b) Secretary of the Doctrine and Worship Committee, December 28, 1973 - re: proposed changes, Terms of Reference, Doctrine and Worship Committee. The General Secretary reported that this was put before the Committee on Organization, and has been referred to the Task Force on the Handbook.
c) Miss Betty Graham - Summary of highlights - Anglican Information No. 6, Anglican Consultative Council. (Circulated, for information.)
d) The Right Rev. H.V.R. Short - Expressing appreciation, on behalf of the clergy of the Diocese of Saskatchewan for stipend augmentation received in 1973.
e) The Venerable L. Hatfield - Letter of appreciation.
f) Colonel D. Mitchell - Letter of appreciation.
g) The Diocesan Synod Secretary of the Diocese of Accra, Ghana, December 10, 1973 - Expressing appreciation, on behalf of the Diocese of Accra for assistance received from the Anglican Church of Canada. The General Secretary referred the members to a collation of similar expressions referred to the National Executive Council by the Reverend T. Anthony, and circulated for information.
That the Pension Board be authorized to conduct a Special Names campaign to provide capital funds to augment the pensions of members of the Pension Plan who do not enjoy Canada Pension Plan benefits, and other similar purposes; and that the Pension Committee be given the primary responsibility for organizing this campaign in consultation with the Task Force on Funding National Goals; and
that the Task Force which will conduct this campaign be nominated by the Pension Committee, and appointed by the Officers of Synod; and that the Task Force be directed to report both interim and final plans to the Officers of Synod for their approval prior to implementation. CARRIED
That this session of the General Synod recognize, celebrate, and affirm the role of women, on this 25th anniversary of the ordination of women in the Anglican Church of Canada. CARRIED WITHOUT DEBATE Act 84
Whereas, the General Synod has learned with satisfaction that plans are under way for a fitting observance of the 200th Anniversary of the oldest parish church of our Communion in the Overseas Dominions,
And desires to mark the occasion with some suitable plaque or memorial,
Resolved that the matter be referred to the Executive Council for consideration and action. CARRIED in both Houses.