That first reading be given to the Resolution that section 6 of the Declaration of Principles be amended by adding a new clause s) as follows:
- s) the appointment, election, confirmation, consecration and resignation of a Bishop Ordinary having jurisdiction over the chaplains of the Anglican Church of Canada on duty with the Canadian Forces.
That this General Synod forward all remaining resolutions to the Council of General Synod for consideration. CARRIED Act 62
Resolution B001 - Blessing couples in covenanted same-sex unions - was withdrawn by the mover and seconder. The seventeen resolutions passed by the omnibus motion are as follows (in the order proposed by the Resolutions Committee):
No Debate List
Item # Res. # Title
1 C004 Public Meetings
2 C005 Budget Allocation to support Youth Initiatives
3 A264 Adoption of the new LTD Plan and subsequent amendments to the Regulations
4 A041 Voting in the Council of General Synod
5 A220 Anglican-Orthodox Relations
6 A221 Code of Ethics
7 A223 French Translation of Liturgical Texts
8 A225 Inter-Faith Education and Dialogue
9 A211 Food and Agriculture
10 A250 Companion Diocese Relationships
11 A251 Sri Lanka
12 A252 Philippines
13 A253 Darfur / Sudan
14 A280 Support for PWRDF Partnership for Life Initiative
15 C001 Targets for Reducing Green House Gas Emissions
16 C006 Anti-Racism Education
17 C007 Anti-Racism Education
[See Resolution 15-05-08 from Council of General Synod Meeting of 22-25 May 2008 for complete text of resolutions adopted by Council of General Synod. N.B. Five resolutions in this list were NOT adopted by CoGS i.e. C004, C005, A264, A041 and A280. See below for text of these resolutions.]
C004: Public Meetings
That this General Synod directs the Council of General Synod to expedite consideration and implementation of the principles expressed in the draft of "The Open Meeting Policy" that all meetings of General Synod, of its Standing Committees, and of the subsidiary bodies of General Synod be open meetings unless a specific motion of the meeting mandates that the meetings be held in camera.
C005: Budget allocation to support Youth Initiatives
That this General Synod request that the Council of General Synod consider including Youth Initiatives in the budget for 2008-2010 to consolidate current initiatives and sustain existing projects and ministries not supported currently by the national budget.
A264: Adoption of the new LTD Plan and subsequent amendment to the Regulations
That this General Synod adopt the new Long Term Disability Plan as adopted by the Council of General Synod with respect to disabilities commencing on or after January 1, 2005 and approve subsequent amendments which were approved by the Council of General Synod by deleting the underlined portions and adding the bold portions as shown on the attached copy of the document. [Document NOT included in electronic database.]
A041: Voting in the Council of General Synod
BE IT RESOLVED:
That section 35 of the Constitution of the General Synod be amended by re-lettering paragraph e) to be paragraph f) and adding the following new paragraph e):
- e) All motions in the Council of the General Synod shall be decided by the votes of all of the members of the Council taken collectively.
A280: Support for PWRDF Partnership for Life Initiative
That this General Synod:
1. Ask the Primate to:
- Thank dioceses and parishes for their endorsement and active participation in the PWRDF Partnership for Life: For a Generation Without AIDS initiative, in which $2,928,132 million dollars has been raised;
- Encourage them to continue raising awareness, educating, and advocating around HIV and AIDS issues.
- Call on Anglicans to continue to pray for and support all who are either affected or infected by HIV and AIDS and those who dedicate themselves to caring for people living with the disease.
2. Reaffirm The Anglican Church of Canada’s commitment to stand in solidarity with people living with HIV and AIDS throughout the world and especially within our churches and communities.
3. Ask the Primate to convey the following concerns to the Prime Minister by letter:
- That Canada act on its commitment to increase access to affordable medicines for the world’s poorest populations as part of our commitment to the universal right to health care.
- That Canada maintain its contribution to the Global Fund to fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria, without taking these funds from existing commitments to international development assistance.
- That Canada challenge international financial institutions’ current practices demanding debt repayment and imposing structural adjustment austerity measures that limit people’s capacity to ensure their own health and well-being.
This report was presented by the Archbishop of Kootenay. Considerable discussion arose out of the report which was, on motion of the Archbishop of Kootenay, seconded by Mr. R.W. Allin, carried in both Houses.
Your Committee regrets that it cannot submit any report either on the "state" of the Church or on statistical returns. The information supplied is insufficient in both cases. Only nine bishops have replied to a request for a Church report of conditions in their areas; for the year 1944 statistical returns were not received until this year, and the figures of two important dioceses are still unavailable; less than half the returns for 1945 have been received.
Your Committee requests that it be relieved of its duties unless fuller cooperation is forthcoming and needful information supplied. It would however stress the great loss which the Church would suffer, if information as to the ebb and flow of Church life in various parts of the Dominion is not available. It may point out that the proportion of active to missing Anglicans would never have been known if statistics had not been collected and synthesized.
That this Synod requests the Committee on Statistics and State of the Church to continue its labours and calls upon all Dioceses to extend to the Committee the fullest co-operation so that all needful information may be supplied. CARRIED in both Houses.