That the Primate, after consultation with the House of Bishops, be requested to initiate discussion with the provinces and dioceses of the Anglican Church of Canada regarding:
1) the possible reform of the provincial organization of the Anglican Church of Canada, and, in particular, whether the effectiveness and efficiency of the Anglican Church of Canada would be significantly improved by:
- a) entirely eliminating the four provinces from the organizational structure of the church and transferring the powers and authority the provinces presently hold to the General Synod, or
- b) maintaining the existing provincial structure for some part of its present purpose and transferring part of provincial power and authority, for example part or all of provincial legislative authority, to the General Synod, or
- c) reorganizing the dioceses into groupings with greater common goals, concerns, needs and interests than the collections of dioceses forming the existing provinces.
2) the possible reform of the diocesan organization of the Anglican Church of Canada, in particular by:
- a) adjusting diocesan boundaries to reflect modern transportation patterns and population shifts created by social and economic changes,
- b) reducing the number of dioceses within the Anglican Church of Canada,
- c) implementing any other change that might improve the effectiveness, efficiency, or economy of the operation of dioceses.
The mover and seconder accepted a friendly amendment from the Rev. Stephen Peake to add the words ‘enhance the mission and’ in item 2) c) after the word ‘might’. Item 2) c) now reads:
- c) implementing any other change that might enhance the mission and improve the effectiveness, efficiency or economy of the operation of dioceses.
The amended motion was then put and CARRIED AS AMENDED Act 50
That Rule of Order 23(a) be suspended in relation to Resolution A185.
Point of Order
The Rev. James Robinson raised a point of order. He submitted that this motion was out of order because the proposed action was required to be taken by enactment of a Canon. The Assessors advised that the point raised was not a point of order, although it may be a question as to the validity of the enactment, if passed. A two-thirds majority was required. The Primate ruled that the point raised was not a point of order.
1. That, with respect to resolutions A186 and A187, and pursuant to Rule 23, the requirement of Rules of Order 18(b), 19 and 20(c) that a majority of votes be required for passing a motion, and Rule of Order 20(d) concerning a tied vote in a vote by dioceses, be suspended, and
2. That resolutions A186 and A187 be deemed to have been carried only if they receive the affirmative votes of sixty percent of the members of each Order present and voting and, if a vote by dioceses is requested, only if they receive the affirmative votes of sixty percent of the dioceses whose votes are counted.
Moved by: Archdeacon Vicars Hodge
Seconded by: Ms. Sheila Vanderputten
That the words “sixty percent” be deleted in both places where they appear and replaced with the words “two thirds” and then add after the word “voting”, the words “at two successive General Synods”. DEFEATED
Point of Privilege
Ms. Janet Neubauer requested permission for Synod members to pray before the vote on the following resolution and the Primate granted this request.
Resolution A185 (Revised) was then put and DEFEATED Act 39