The Acting Primate then delivered his Charge as follows:
In the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. Amen. Reverend Fathers and Brethren.
It is a strange series of events which leads me to my occupying this Chair in an acting capacity, and welcoming you to this Twentieth Session of the General Synod of the Anglican Church of Canada.
[Text of remainder of Charge NOT included in electronic database. Charge divided into seven sections: The Primacy, A Personal Assessment, The Unity of the Church, The Canadian Situation, Conversation and Co-operation, The Draft Prayer Book, Conclusion.]
The reception of the Charge was marked by tumultuous applause.
The Prolocutor presented the following address, which was ADOPTED by the Synod standing:
To the Queen's Most Excellent Majesty:
This General Synod of The Anglican Church of Canada, assembled in its twentieth triennial session meeting in Montreal under the Presidency of His Grace, the Archbishop of Quebec, desires to renew to Your Majesty its deep and abiding loyalty to the Throne and its devotion to Your Majesty's person.
Coming as we do from all parts of this Dominion, we know the happiness which the visit of Your Majesty and your husband His Royal Highness the Duke of Edinburgh brought to the people of Canada. Only two months ago Your Majesty, with the President of the United States, opened the St. Lawrence Seaway, an event of outstanding importance to our country and its economic development. On that historic occasion, millions of our people were able to see and hear Your Majesty through the modern miracle of radio and television, and afterwards, in your journeying throughout this this vast country, people in cities, towns and hamlets in East and West and in the far North, were able to see Your Majesty in person as their Queen, and to realize afresh that we are part of a world-wide Commonwealth of nations living in freedom and peace.
Upon the clergy of this Church is laid the duty of prayer for Your Majesty and for the Commonwealth and Empire. To pray for Your Majesty and for the continued unity and prosperity of the Commonwealth is a task well within the compass of our loyalty. In it we lead a loyal and devoted laity many of whom proved that loyalty by service in Your Majesty's Forces, as did many of the clergy.
That Your Majesty will long reign over us as our Queen is the fervent prayer of all your Canadian people and in presenting our humble duty to Your Majesty this General Synod joins with all the people of Canada in gratitude to Almighty God for the leadership of Your Majesty and the members of the Royal Family and for the maintenance of those high ideals of life which are the fruit of the Christian faith.
[CARRIED in both houses.]
A telegram was then read from the Prime Minister of Canada as follows:
I wish to extend my warmest greetings and good wishes to the House of Bishops, the Lower House, and General Synod, as the twentieth session opens. The momentous decisions in the choice of Primate and the revision of the Book of Common Prayer, concerning as they do the two million Anglicans in this country, carry much significance far beyond your own communion.
All Canadians wish you well. (signed) John G. Diefenbaker.
That this Synod go on record as commending the action of the Universities in Canada for the stand they have taken in relation to amateur inter-collegiate athletics, as being in the interest of athletics as a means to an end rather than as an end in itself and for the development of the whole personality of students involved; that copies of this resolution be forwarded to all the University Presidents. CARRIED in both Houses.
RESOLVED That Canon IX, Part 3, be amended as follows:
(1) To strike out the word "three" in clause (e) of subsection (1) of Section 23, and substitute the word "two" so that such clause will read as follows:
"(e) Two members of the Board of Finance appointed by the Board."
(2) To strike out the word "Two" in clause (f) of subsection (1) of Section 23 and substitute the word "one" so that such clause will read:
"(f) The General Secretary and one member of the Executive Committee of the Department of Missions."
(3) To add the following as clause (i):
"(i) Four members, not necessarily members of the Synod, appointed by the Budget Committee at its first meeting following a Session of the Synod."
(4) To add to subsection (4) of Section 23 the following words "or its Executive Committee", so that it will read:
"(4) The members of the Committee shall be entitled to receive their travelling expenses when attending meetings of the committee or its Executive Committee."
(5) To add a new subsection to Section 23 to read as follows:
"(5) The Committee at its first meeting following a session of the Synod shall appoint an executive committee consisting of the chairman, the secretary, and eight other members and such executive committee shall carry on the work of the Budget Committee between regular meetings thereof and shall act for the committee in cases of emergency and in matters referred to it by the committee.
That, pending the amendment of Canon XXIV, this House give authority for a Provisional Committee re Theological Education to be set up immediately, pending the appointment of a Board at the next session of General Synod.
CARRIED (See pp. 70, 100.) Message L-74.
Message L-74 - Provisional Committee on Theological Education
That, pending the amendment of Canon XXIV, ("Board of Examiners for Divinity Degrees"), this House give authority for a Provisional Committee on Theological Education to be set up immediately. (See p. 68.)
The Upper House concurs in Message L-74 of the Lower House. (See p. 70.)
(1) To amend section (2) (Powers) of Canon IX (Finance) Part I, p.97, by striking out all words after the word "security" in the second last line, so that the section will read as follows:
(1) Subject to the provisions of any legislation affecting the investment of trust funds or the funds held by the Board, and subject to the provisions of Part II, the Board shall have the management and control of the Consolidated Trust Fund and of all property, securities and moneys, which now are or which may hereafter become vested in, held by, or entrusted to the General Synod for management or investment, and may make such lawful investments of the same in such sums and at such rates of interest and on such terms as the said Board shall in its discretion deem advisable, provided that, except those securities set out in subsection (a) of Section 63 in Chapter 46 of the Act of the Parliament of Canada (22-23 George V) dealing with Canadian or British insurance companies, or in amendments thereto, no more than $50,000 shall be invested in any one security.
To repeal Section 28 of Canon IX (Finance) (p.103), and substitute the following:
The Treasurer of each Diocese shall remit quarterly on the last days of March, June, September and December all moneys received by him for or on account of the assessment or apportionment of said Diocese to the General Treasurer of the General Synod.
RESOLVED That the Constitution be amended as follows:
To insert the word "General" before the word "Treasurer" wherever the said word occurs in subsections 2, 3 and 6 of Section 28 (Expenses of Synod) of the Constitution (pp.30 and 41), so that such subsections will read as follows:
2. The Board of Finance shall determine annually the amount to be assessed hereunder on such basis as may be authorized by the Synod from time to time on the recommendations of the Board of Finance and such assessment shall be paid to the General Treasurer of the Synod and credited to an account to be known as General Synod Expense Account.
3. Out of the moneys at credit of such account the General Treasurer is authorized to pay etc.
6. From the income derived from the General Synod Executive Council Endowment Fund or other funds, the income from which is available for the purpose hereunder mentioned, the General Treasurer is authorized to pay etc.
RESOLVED That Canon IX (Finance) be amended as follows:
To insert the words "General Treasurer of the Synod" in subsection (a) of Section 3, "Duties", of Part 1, so that the relevant part of the Section will read:
3. It shall be the duty of the Board and it is hereby authorized and empowered:
(a) To appoint a Chairman, Secretary, Assistant Secretary, General Treasurer of the Synod, Assistant Treasurer, comptroller, accountants and such other officers as the Board may deem necessary and to define their duties and remunerations.
RESOLVED That the Constitution be amended as follows:
(1) Treasurer (Handbook, p.35)
By inserting the word "Honorary" before the word "Treasurer" wherever the latter word occurs in Section 17, p.35, so that this Section will read as follows:
17. Honorary Treasurer
1. At each session of the Synod an Honorary Treasurer, who may or may not be a member of the Synod, shall be elected by the Lower House, who shall remain in office until the next session or until his successor is appointed. In the event of the Honorary Treasurer not being a member of the General Synod, on his election, he shall have the rights and privileges of the Synod while financial matters are under review.
2. It shall be the duty of the Honorary Treasurer to receive and disburse all moneys of the Synod under the authority of the Synod or the Executive Council and to perform such other duties as may be prescribed by the Constitution, Canons and resolutions of the Synod.
3. Any vacancy occurring in the office of Honorary Treasurer by death, resignation or otherwise, shall be filled by the Primate, with the concurrence of the Prolocutor, which appointment shall be reported to the next session of the Executive Council or Synod, whichever shall be first held.
(2) Executive Council (Handbook, p.44)
By inserting the word "Honorary" before the word "Treasurer" in subsection 1 of Section 35 (Executive Council), p.44, so that it will read as follows:
1. There shall be an Executive Council of the Synod, consisting of all the members of the Upper House, the Prolocutor of the Lower House, the Deputy Prolocutor, the Honorary Treasurer of the