That Subsection (1) of Section 2 (Time of Meeting) (Handbook, p.28) be repealed and the following substituted therefore: (1) The Synod shall meet at such time and place in every second year as may be determined by the Executive Council. CARRIED in both Houses.
That Subsection (1) of Section 12 (Diocesan Representation) be repealed (Handbook, p.33) and the following substituted therefore:
"(1) The representation of clerical and lay members shall be as follows: For Dioceses having fifteen licensed clergy or less one member of each order; for Dioceses having sixteen to twenty-five licensed clergy two members of each order; for Dioceses having twenty-six to fifty licensed clergy three members of each order; for Dioceses having more than fifty licensed clergy three members of each order and one additional member of each order for each additional fifty licensed clergy or fraction thereof." CARRIED in both Houses.
That Section 36 (Handbook, p.50) be repealed, and the following substituted therefor:
"36. Powers and Duties
1. The Executive Council shall consider and report upon any matters referred to it by the Primate or the General Synod.
2. It may advise the Primate respecting any matter concerning the welfare of the Church.
3. It may appoint such committees as it may consider necessary.
4. It shall appoint a General Secretary of General Synod and, on nomination of the Board of Finance, a General Treasurer of General Synod, on such terms as may from time to time be determined by the Executive Council.
5. On the nomination of the Executive Committee of the Board, Council or Department concerned, it shall appoint the General Secretary, Secretary or Director, the Treasurer, and any other full-time officers, of such Board, Council or Department.
6. It shall co-ordinate the work of all of the departments of the Synod.
7. It shall represent the General Synod, and carry on its work between sessions." CARRIED in both Houses.
That Section 37 (Handbook, p.51) be repealed, and the following substituted therefor:
1. A quorum of the Executive Council shall be twenty-three members, provided Bishops, Clergy, and Laity are present.
2. In the absence of the Primate the Executive Council shall elect some other Bishop to preside.
3. There shall be not less than three meetings in each year, one of which may be held in conjunction with a session of General Synod.
4. All discussions and debates in the Executive Council shall be governed mutatis mutandis by the Rules of Order and Procedure of the Lower House.
5. The minutes of the meetings of the Executive Council shall be circulated among all members of the Upper House, the members of the Executive Council, the heads of the Departments of General Synod, and such members of the General Synod as may, in writing, request them." CARRIED in both Houses.
That Section 2 Electoral College (Handbook, p.66) of Canon III reading as follows: "The Primate shall be elected by the General Synod, acting through an Electoral College, as hereinafter provided," be repealed, and the following be substituted therefor:
"2. The Primate shall be elected by the Synod, acting as an Electoral College, as hereinafter provided." CARRIED in both Houses.
That Section 3 of the said Canon (Handbook, p.66) reading as follows: "3. The Electoral College shall consist of the Bishops of the Upper House and the other members of the Executive Council elected or appointed under the provisions of the Constitution of General Synod," be repealed. CARRIED in both Houses.
That Section 4 of the said Canon (Handbook, p.66) now reading as follows:
"1. On a vacancy occurring in the office of Primate, within twelve months before the next meeting of the General Synod, a meeting of the Electoral College shall be held for the election of a Primate, either during the next ensuing meeting of the General Synod and after the election of the Executive Council, or immediately following said Synod, at a time and place to be fixed by the Senior Metropolitan.
2. On a vacancy occurring at any other time, the Senior Metropolitan shall summon a meeting of the Electoral College to elect a Primate, such meeting to be held immediately prior to the next annual meeting of the Executive Council," be repealed, and the following substituted therefor:
"1. On a vacancy occurring in the office of Primate within twelve months before the next regular session of the Synod a meeting of the Electoral College shall be held for the election of a Primate either during such Session or immediately following such Session at a time and place to be fixed by the Senior Metropolitan.
2. On a vacancy occurring at any other time, the Senior Metropolitan, following consultation with the Executive Council, shall summon a Special Session of the Synod to act as an Electoral College at a time and place to be fixed by him for the election of a Primate, unless the Executive Council determines that such Special Session should not be called." CARRIED in both Houses.
Chancellor Soward presented the following resolution from the Constitution and Canons Committee.
"That the Constitution and Canons Committee request the National Executive Council to advise it if a revision of Canon XVI (Department of Literature and Supplies) is necessary, or if the Canon is to be repealed."
After a short discussion, it was [moved and seconded].
That this NEC requests the Executive Director of Program to bring in a report on the Anglican Book Centre at the February 1969 meeting. CARRIED
That this Twenty-Third Session of the General Synod of the Anglican Church of Canada expresses its thanks to Anglicans in all parts of Canada for generous support of the Bible Society, and earnestly requests all Anglican people in our country,
1. To read the Holy Scriptures more frequently, both in personal and family devotions.
2. To support the work of the Bible Society more effectively by joining existing branches of the Bible Society, or by assisting in the organizing of new Parish or Community branches where needed.
3. To greatly increase their support of the Bible Society in 1967, in 1968, and in future years because of the growing literacy, and because of the great need for God's love and for God's peace in the world at this time. CARRIED in both Houses.
Following the luncheon period, the following report was presented by the Archbishop of Fredericton for this committee:
That the House of Bishops meet from Tuesday to Friday, incl., August 23 to 26 (this to be announced by Bishop Appleyard when finally decided); Saturday free, Sunday preaching engagements; Monday August 29 MSCC, GBRE, CSS meet all day; Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, August 30, 31, and September 1 National Executive Council. (The Archbishop of Canterbury will preach at a Service of Witness on the Wednesday evening.)