The Reverend Canon Ansley Tucker and the Reverend Paul Robinson members of the General Synod Ministry Committee brought two resolutions (from the Committee) to the House of Bishops about the Advisory Committee on Postulants for Ordination (ACPO). Their purpose was to receive the House of Bishops' input about the resolutions (#3-2-84 re. ACPO contemplated for Canadian Forces personnel and #4-2-84 re. Categories for use by ACPO assessors in relation to prospective postulants) to be taken back to the Ministry Committee, before bringing the resolution to the National Executive Committee for approval. (See appendix ii for resolutions).
Following a discussion in plenary, the consensus of the House of Bishops was that it would ask that the ACPO process continue.
That a joint task force of 2 episcopal chairs and 2 ACPO secretaries representing different regions meet with representatives from the Ministry Committee. CARRIED
ADVISORY COMMITTEE ON POSTULANTS FOR ORDINATION (ACPO)
HOUSE OF BISHOPS
Guidelines re members of the Canadian Forces "who wish to be pursue the ordained ministry".
When ACPO is contemplated for the Canadian Forces personnel, the following guidelines will be observed:
1. The applicant must be co-sponsored by the Bishop Ordinary and a Diocesan Bishop.
2. The Diocesan Bishop interviews the candidate and helps provide pastoral support through regular diocesan channels.
3. If ordination is appropriate, then the Bishop Ordinary, at the request of the Diocesan or with permission of the Diocesan, may ordain.
4. The ordained person may be considered for employment in the Diocese of the co-sponsoring Diocesan Bishop of until accepted into the Forces.
5. If Provincial Postulancy is in effect, then this will be considered.
Categories for use by ACPO assessors in relation to prospective postulants:
a) recommended at this time for postulancy -- with suggestions for "areas of training and experience to be included in the education and training process".
b) not recommended at this time for postulancy -- with suggestions for "areas of training and personal growth to be undertaken before further assessment by ACPO or other appropriate evaluation in considered".
c) not recommended at this time for postulancy -- with suggestions of "other areas of ministry and service which may be more appropriate".