That this General Synod amend the Rules of Order as follows:
- 1. deleting section 17(d);
- 2. amending section 18(b) to read as follows:
-- b) The three Orders of Bishops, Clergy and Laity shall vote together unless a vote by Orders is required by the Constitution or called for pursuant to the Rules of Order. In order to be passed the motion shall require a majority of the votes cast, and abstentions shall not be counted in determining the majority.
- 3. amending section 18(d) to read as follows:
-- d) When voting by Orders, the vote shall be put to all members of General Synod regardless of the result in any order.
- 4. adding section 20(a.1) to read as follows:
--a.1) Ex officio and other non-diocesan members of General Synod shall vote with the diocese in which they are normally geographically resident for laity, or canonically resident, for clergy.
and this resolution shall come into effect upon Second Reading being given to Resolution A019 (Act 13).
Moved by: The Very Rev. Iain Luke
Seconded by: Canon Terry Leer
That Clause 4 be removed from the resolution.
Motion to table
Moved by: Mr. James Sweeney [sic i.e. Sweeny]
That the motion be tabled.
There being no seconder for the Motion to Table, consideration of the amendment continued.
That this General Synod amend section 4 b) of the Constitution of the General Synod to read as follows:
- b) The General Secretary of the General Synod shall prepare a list of all business, notices of motion, petitions and memorials received by the General Secretary for submission to the synod and shall transmit a copy to every member of the synod at least 30 days before the day appointed for the holding of a meeting of the synod.
That this General Synod amend section 3 of the Constitution to read as follows:
3. President and Chairperson of the General Synod
- a) The President of the General Synod shall be the Primate of The Anglican Church of Canada, who shall be elected and hold office under, and have such privileges, powers, authority and duties as are defined by the Constitution, Canons and Rules enacted by the Synod.
- b) In case of the absence of the Primate for any cause, the archbishop senior by appointment or election, or if no archbishop be present the bishop senior by appointment or election, shall be and act as President of the Synod.
- c) The President shall be chairperson of the General Synod.
- d) In the absence, or at the request, of the President, the Prolocutor shall be the chairperson of the synod.
That this General Synod amend section 6 of the Constitution to read as follows:
6. Separate meetings of Orders
- a) The agenda of the General Synod may provide for separate meetings of the three Orders.
- b) When the three Orders meet separately
-- i) the Primate shall be the chairperson of the Order of Bishops, or in the absence of the Primate, the archbishop senior by appointment or election, or if no archbishop be present, the bishop senior by appointment or election;
-- ii) the Prolocutor or the Deputy Prolocutor, whichever is a member of the Order of Clergy, shall be the chairperson of the Order of Clergy, or in the absence of the said officer, the Order of Clergy shall elect a chairperson;
-- iii) the Prolocutor or the Deputy Prolocutor, whichever is a member of the Order of Laity, shall be the chairperson of the Order of Laity, or in the absence of the said officer, the Order of Laity shall elect a chairperson.
That the Council of General Synod appoint members to sessional committees for General Synod 2010 (Appendix D), with authority for the Prolocutor in consultation with the Acting General Secretary to fill any vacancies that may occur. ADOPTED #12-03-10
The list of appointments to the General Synod 2010 Sessional Committees (026 Appendix D) is attached as Appendix XX. [Text of Appendix is NOT INCLUDED in electronic database].
Chancellor David Jones, Chair, presented the report. He advised that, for many years, a number of provisions contained in the Declaration of Principles have been duplicated in the Constitution. The GWG presented four resolutions to General Synod 2010 to deal with this situation—one amended the Declaration of Principles, two amended the Constitution, and one amended the Rules of Order. The amendment to the Declaration of Principles must be approved at two sessions of General Synod.
That this Council of General Synod recommend Second Reading of the following resolution to General Synod 2013.
- Be it resolved that this General Synod give Second Reading to amend sections 3, 4 and 5 of the Declaration of Principles to read as follows:
-- 3. Membership
--- a) The General Synod of The Anglican Church of Canada shall be organized in three Orders: the Order of Bishops, the Order of Clergy and the Order of Laity.
--- b) Members of the Orders of Clergy and Laity shall be members of the diocesan synod, or eligible to be members of the diocesan synod, of the diocese they represent.
--- c) The number of clergy and lay members elected by each diocese shall be determined relative to the size of the diocese.
--- d) Each diocese shall elect the same number of lay members as clergy members.
--- e) Each diocese shall be entitled to elect or appoint one youth representative in addition to the clergy and lay members it is entitled to elect.
--- f) Other non-diocesan or quasi-diocesan jurisdictions in the Church may also be entitled to representation as specified in the Constitution.
--- g) The Constitution may provide for ex officio members of the General Synod.
-- 4. Sessions
--- The three Orders shall sit and vote together, except where specifically provided for in the Constitution, Canons or Rules of Order.
5. Voting by Dioceses
--- The Rules of Order shall make provision for a vote by dioceses where demanded.