- 1) amend section 33 a) of the Constitution of the General Synod by adding a new subsection viii) as follows:
-- viii) two members who may, but need not be, members of the General Synod, nominated by the Anglican Council of Indigenous Peoples and elected by the General Synod; and
- 2) amend section 33 f) of the Constitution by adding a new subsection iv) as follows:
-- iv) in the case of a member elected under the provisions of subsection 33 a) viii), be filled by the Prolocutor, in consultation with the Chair or Co-chairs of the Anglican Council of Indigenous Peoples.
That this General Synod amend section 33 of the Constitution as follows:
- (a) by changing "forty-five percent" to "twenty-five percent" in section 33 a) v) I;
- (b) by deleting the words in section 33 a) v) after section 33 a) v) II);
- (c) by rewording section 33(e) (iii) to read as follows:
-- iii) in the case of a member elected under subsection 33 a) v) or vi), ceases to be eligible for membership in a synod of the diocese in the ecclesiastical province that he or she represents, or
- (d) by adding section 33 e) iv) as follows:
-- iv) in the case of a member elected under 33 a) vii) ceases to be eligible to represent the Anglican Ordinariate,
- (e) in section 33 f), by substituting "metropolitan" for "bishop" and "ecclesiastical province" for "diocese" in paragraph i), deleting the comma at the end of paragraph ii) and adding paragraph iii) as follows:
-- iii) in the case of a member elected under the provisions of subsection 33 a) vii), be filled by the Prolocutor, in consultation with the Bishop Ordinary of the Canadian Forces.
Informal Session (Committee of the Whole)
Moved by: Mr. David Jones
Seconded by: The Rt. Rev. Susan Moxley
That this General Synod move into an informal session for the consideration of this motion. CARRIED
The proposed reduction in the size of the Council of General Synod was discussed.
That this General Synod move out of informal session. CARRIED
The resolution was then put and was - CARRIED IN ALL ORDERS Act 19
That this Council of General Synod recommends to the General Synod that the Constitution be amended to include in the membership of the Council of General Synod two members appointed by the Anglican Council of Indigenous Peoples. ADOPTED BY CONSENSUS #24-03-10
Bishop James Cowan presented the report of members elected to the Council of General Synod by the Provincial Caucuses.
That the report from the Nominating Committee for the Council of General Synod be adopted.
CARRIED Act 20
THE COUNCIL OF GENERAL SYNOD 2010 - 2013
Primate The Most Rev. Fred Hiltz
Prolocutor The Ven. Dr. Harry Huskins
Deputy Prolocutor Ms. Cynthia Haines-Turner
Chancellor Canon David Phillip Jones
General Secretary The Ven. Dr. Michael Thompson
Province of British Columbia and Yukon
The Rt. Rev. Larry Robertson Bishop Yukon
The Ven. Dr. Lynne McNaughton Clergy New Westminster
Dr. Donald Wilson Lay British Columbia
Ms. Melissa Green Lay Anglican Parishes of the Central Interior
Mr. Alex Starr Youth New Westminster
Province of Canada
The Rt. Rev. Percy Coffin Bishop Western Newfoundland
The Rev. Karen Egan Clergy Montreal
Ms. Jennifer Warren Lay Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island
Mr. James Sweeny Lay Quebec
Ms. Antoinette Lynch-Joseph Youth Montreal
Province of Ontario
The Most Rev. John Chapman Bishop Ottawa
The Very Rev. Peter Wall Clergy Niagara
Mrs. Haroldine Neil-Burchert Lay Ontario
Canon Robert Falby Lay Toronto
Mr. Noel Platte Youth Ottawa
Province of Rupert’s Land
The Rt. Rev. Lydia Mamakwa Bishop Keewatin
The Rt. Rev. Jane Alexander Bishop Edmonton
The Rev. Canon Terry Leer Clergy Athabasca
Ms. Tannis Webster Lay Rupert’s Land
Ms. Marion Jenkins Lay Brandon
Mr. Tony Teare Lay Calgary
Ms. Amanda Lucien Youth Brandon
Anglican Military Ordinariate of Canada
Major, the Rev. Marc Torchinsky Clergy
Anglican Council of Indigenous Peoples
The Ven. Sidney Black Clergy
The Rev. Norman Casey Clergy
Evangelical Lutheran Church In Canada
To be appointed in September 2013
That this Council of General Synod adopt the Procedures for the Election of the Council of General Synod for use at the 2010 General Synod (Doc. 026-06-10-03) CARRIED #13-03-10
The Procedures for the Election of the Council of General Synod for use at the 2010 General Synod are attached as Appendix E.
026 Appendix E
Nominating and Election Procedures
For use at General Synod 2010
Procedures for electing the Council of the General Synod
1. The members of the General Synod from each diocese will collectively submit to the General Secretary on forms as annexed, no later than May 14, 2010, nominations of three of their members, one from each Order. They shall not nominate a person who has been a member of the Council for the two previous terms. They may also nominate their youth member for election to the Council. (The youth member is also eligible for nomination as a layperson).
2. After receiving the diocesan nominations the General Secretary shall
- a) provide copies of the information about the nominees, as contained in the nomination forms, to the members of the General Synod from the dioceses in the respective ecclesiastical provinces, and
- b) inform the General Synod Nominating Committee of the names of the nominees from each diocese.
3. If nominations are received from a diocese later than May 14, 2010, the General Secretary shall provide copies of the information about the nominees to the members of the General Synod from that diocese’s ecclesiastical province no later than when they register their attendance at General Synod.
4. At a time or times designated in the agenda of the General Synod, the members of the synod shall assemble in groups according to their ecclesiastical provinces.
5. The Nominating Committee of the General Synod shall assign one of its members to chair each of the provincial assemblies, such member being a resident in that ecclesiastical province. Such person shall have the right to vote.
6. If, at the time of the members so assembling, any diocese has not submitted its nominations, the members of that diocese may do so; if they do not do so the assembly shall nominate for that diocese.
7. A chart shall be posted listing by diocese the nominees from each of the three Orders.
8. The members who have been nominated may be identified for the information of those assembled.
9. The chairperson shall appoint six scrutineers from among those who have not been nominated.
10. Ballots shall be distributed and each member shall vote for his or her first choice among the nominees to serve on the Council of General Synod.
11. The member receiving the greatest number of votes shall be deemed selected. In the event of a tie where both candidates may be selected, it shall be deemed that both have been selected. Where only one may be selected, further votes between those so tied shall be taken. After three ballots, if the tie remains the chairperson shall cast a second vote to decide the issue.
12. If the first selection is made from the Orders of Bishops and Clergy, the second selection shall be made from the Order of Laity and vice-versa. If the first selection results in the nomination of persons from both the Orders of Bishops and Clergy and the Order of Laity, the chairperson shall determine from which group the second selection shall be made. Thereafter, the selections shall alternate between the two groups.
13. If the first selection from the Orders of Bishops and Clergy is a bishop, the next selection from those Orders shall be made from the Order of Clergy; if the first selection from those Orders is a priest or a deacon, the next selection from those Orders shall be made from the Order of Bishops.
14. After each selection, the other nominations for the diocese which the selected nominee represents shall be struck from the list of nominations.
15. When the prescribed number of nominees from the Orders of Bishops and Clergy or from the Order of Laity has been achieved, other nominations from those Orders or that Order shall be struck from the nominations.
16. When an ecclesiastical province is required to nominate more members than there are dioceses in the province, after one member has been nominated to represent each diocese:
- i) if the additional selection is required from the Order of Laity, the selection shall be made from among those lay persons whose nominations had earlier been struck from the list;
- ii) if the additional selection is required from the Orders of Bishops and Clergy, the selection shall be made from among the bishops and clergy whose nominations had earlier been struck from the list.
17. When the prescribed number of nominations of ordained and lay persons from the ecclesiastical province has been achieved, the meeting shall vote by ballot on the youth member nominees. The youth member receiving the greatest number of votes shall be deemed selected. The chairperson shall declare the business concluded and report to the chairperson of the General Synod Nominating Committee.
18. The chairperson of the General Synod Nominating Committee shall report to the General Synod the names of those who have been nominated for the Council of the General Synod by this process, and move the adoption of the report.
NOTE: Paragraph 16 will not apply if the Synod adopts the proposal of the Governance Working Group to amend the Constitution to reduce the size of the Council.
The Chancellor informed Council that prior to General Synod 2010 a constitutional concern was raised about the rule that creates a two-term limit for the members of the
Council of General Synod. He provided background information on the issue and outlined two options for Council’s consideration (Document reference #027-02-12-05).
Moved by: Chancellor David Jones
Seconded by: The Ven. Harry Huskins
That the reference to a time limit for membership on the Council of General Synod in Appendix G of the Handbook of the General Synod be deleted.
Members offered some comments and questions. Council agreed to continue discussion of this motion later in the meeting.
Some members indicated that there was confusion around the intent of the motion considered earlier in the meeting and that they may not have voted as they intended. The wording of the motion was “That the reference to a time limit for membership on the Council of General Synod in Appendix G of the Handbook of the General Synod be deleted.”
Council indicated its desire to revisit the motion. In the ensuing discussion, no clear consensus on the motion emerged. The matter was referred back to the Governance Working Group for further consideration.