- A. Delete the following words in entirety from section 1 Term of Office for the NIAB [National Indigenous Anglican Bishop]: The term of office for the NIAB is nine years from the date of installation. The NIAB whose term has been completed is eligible to stand for election for a further term.
- B. Reword the following paragraph in section 2 by adding the words shown in bold:
[In electronic database, "bolded" text is indicated by > brackets.]
-- Except for the NIAB, the terms of ACIP members will end at the conclusion of the Sacred Circle after their election, . Where a vacancy occurs ACIP may appoint a replacement for a person who was elected by the Sacred Circle, and the NIAB may appoint a replacement for a person whom the NIAB had appointed. A person who has served on ACIP is eligible for re-election.
2. Request ACIP to determine which of its current members will have terms ending at the conclusion of the next Sacred Circle (2018) and which will have terms ending at the conclusion of the second next Sacred Circle (2021).
On behalf of the Governance Working Group (GWG), Chancellor Canon David Jones presented two resolutions to Council.
Motion to amend Canon XXII (National Indigenous Ministry) and related provisions
Be it resolved:
That the Council of General Synod commend for consideration to the General Synod that they:
1. Amend section 8 of the Constitution to add paragraph h.1) as follows:
h.1) In addition to the persons elected or appointed under subsections c) and d), the Anglican Council of Indigenous Peoples shall be entitled to elect or appoint two licensed members of the clergy, two communicant lay persons, and one youth who will be at least sixteen years of age upon the opening of General Synod and under the age of twenty-six years upon the prorogation of General Synod who shall be a communicant member of The Anglican Church of Canada.
2. Upon the adoption of this resolution, the persons who have been elected or appointed by the Anglican Council of Indigenous Peoples meeting the above requirements shall become members of General Synod 2019.
ADOPTED #CoGS 008-03-19