The Primate introduced the resolution. He spoke of General Synod's strong ongoing partnership with Jerusalem and reminded Council of the General Synod 2010 resolution calling on the Anglican Church of Canada to strengthen relationships for peace that included “supporting the formation of national network of Canadian Companions of the Episcopal Diocese of Jerusalem.”
That the Council of General Synod approve the Terms of Reference for the Canadian Companions of the Episcopal Diocese of Jerusalem.
1) In thanksgiving for the long partnership of the Anglican Church of Canada with the Episcopal Diocese of Jerusalem, commit the Anglican Church of Canada to:
- a. Pray for peace, calling on Canadian Anglicans to:
-- i. pray regularly for the diocese of Jerusalem and for Christians in the Land of the Holy One, and for peace for all people in Palestine and Israel
-- ii. designate one Sunday a year for prayers. (According to the Anglican Cycle of Prayer, Jerusalem is particularly remembered on Palm Sunday.)
- b. Educate for peace, encouraging Canadian Anglicans to:
-- i. study the history and current events of the land of the diocese of Jerusalem, including Jerusalem, Palestine, Gaza, Israel, Jordan, Lebanon and Syria
-- ii. post links on parish and diocesan websites to Anglican Church of Canada, KAIROS, Anglican Communion, World Council of Churches and Diocese of Jerusalem websites
-- iii. host and/or participate in at least one event a year to discuss and learn about realities and issues of Palestinian and Arab Christians in the Middle East, in partnership with ELCIC events as possible
-- iv. enable Canadian distribution of Palestinian products and services
- c. Strengthen relationships for peace by:
-- i. supporting the formation of national network of Canadian Companions of the Episcopal Diocese of Jerusalem
-- ii. broadening the profile of St. George‘s College Jerusalem, in collaboration with the North American Regional Council of St. George‘s College
-- iii. inviting financial and other forms of support from Canadian Anglicans for the health care, educational, and interfaith ministries of the diocese.
-- iv. fostering links with the Diocese of Jerusalem through the Theological Students International Internship Program, Volunteers in Mission, and the new companionship between the dioceses of Jerusalem and Ottawa
-- v. promoting Canadian Anglican group visits to Land of the Holy One in cooperation with the diocese of Jerusalem and Christian tour guides
- a) Request the Faith, Worship and Ministry Committee to provide information, guidelines, and resources for parishes and dioceses to participate in multi-faith dialogues in their own communities; and
- b) Request the Partners in Mission and Ecojustice Committee to develop a resource for Canadian Anglican pilgrims to the region.
CARRIED Act 43
[The Rt. Rev. Suheil Dawani and Mrs. Shafeeqa Dawani attended General Synod as Overseas Partners. Bishop Dawani and Mrs. Dawani addressed Synod. The text of Bishop Dawani's address is included in the official Journal of Proceedings as Appendix c.]