That the Council of General Synod send a letter to the members and staff of the Consultation of Bishops in Dialogue expressing the gratitude of the Anglican Church of Canada for the witness of A Testimony of Grace.
The Rev. Canon Dr. Todd Townshend, Chair of the Theological Education Commission (TEC), provided an overview of the committee’s deliberations regarding the Competencies for Ordination to the Priesthood. The committee consulted widely and responses were very positive.
The Rev. Canon Eric Beresford introduced the Competencies relative to the following principles – i.e. candidates –
- must have a personal faith and spiritual life adequate to leading others
- need to understand who we are as people of God and what it means to be Anglican within the wider family
- can translate their ministry into the context of the community
- should have the capacity to provide effective leadership in communities; and
- should have capacities for both teaching and learning.
Canon Beresford noted that the Competencies are aspirational and provide a framework—not a checklist—for ministry. They were developed to enhance transferability between dioceses. He responded to questions and advised that a further report will be presented in March 2013.
That this Council of General Synod receive the Competencies for Ordination to the Priesthood in The Anglican Church of Canada for information and discussion.