Archbishop Hiltz shared some of the observations made by the Archbishop of Canterbury’s Pastoral Visitors about their time with the Canadian bishops.
Bishop Bruce distributed a report from the Anglican Communion Working Group. He reviewed it. Discussion followed.
“This House of Bishops recommend to the Council of General Synod that the final text of ‘The Covenant for the Anglican Communion’ be presented to General Synod 2010 for consideration by The Anglican Church of Canada.”
Bishop Chapman, chair of the Theological Education Working Group lead the session about the National Theological Education Gathering that had preceded the House of Bishops’ meeting. The conference on theological education was held from January 5 to (the afternoon of) January 7 at Manoir d’Youville in Chateuaguay, Quebec. He told the bishops that the planning committee was in the midst of drafting a report from the conference. The final report will be sent to the Faith, Worship and Ministry Committee, in March to the Council of General Synod and in June to General Synod. Bishop Chapman shared a few of the points and recommendations that would be in the final report. They included:
- A request to the Primate to establish a Commission on Theological Education (transmiteral, transformation and education)
- A recommendation for consideration to be given to the idea of having a national faculty
- A recommendation that there should be some method of having a national scholarship for theological education
- A suggestion that theological education should be seen as one of the General Synod’s priorities
- A request from the Advisory Committee on Postulants for Ordination (ACPO) Secretaries to have a task force established to update the ACPO Handbook
“Be it resolved that the House of Bishops create a task force to update the Advisory Committee on Postulants for Ordination (ACPO) Handbook and report back to the House of Bishops’ meeting in October 2010.”
CARRIED HB Res-002-01-10
Discussion followed. It was noted that the Commission on Theological Education will have a lot of work to do. The Primate was asked to make the people he appointed to the commission aware that it would require a heavy time commitment of them.