That second reading be given to the Resolution that Canon XVII - The Licensing of Clergy - be amended as follows :
1. by re-lettering sections 11 b) to 11 h) to be sections 11 d) to 11 j);
2. by adding two new sections as follows:
- 11 b) Although it is not possible to set out all the circumstances in which the bishop might make such a decision, they include financial difficulties in a parish, decline in parish membership, redeployment of human resources, and the licensee’s inability to carry out his or her ministry.
- 11 c) Where the bishop is aware of circumstances that may establish that a licensee has committed an ecclesiastical offense under Canon XVIII, the bishop may not revoke a license instead of making, or referring to the court having jurisdiction, a determination of whether an ecclesiastical offense has been committed.
3. by amending section 11 i), as re-lettered, to read as follows:
- 11 i) The arbitration board shall provide an opportunity to the licensee and the bishop to make submissions in writing and orally and to respond to the submissions of the other party. It shall determine the length of notice or the amount of pay and benefits in lieu of notice to be given to the licensee including, where appropriate, financial and vocational counselling, and shall take into account prevailing practices in the secular community. The decision of the arbitration board shall be in writing and is final and binding on the licensee and the bishop.
Motion to Table
Moved by: Archdeacon Bruce Bryant-Scott
Seconded by: Archdeacon Marion Vincett
That consideration of the motion be tabled until clarification is received at a later time in the Synod. DEFEATED
The resolution was then put and - CARRIED IN ALL ORDERS Act 15
Chancellor Jones presented the report and provided a detailed explanation for each of the following Parts – A, B and C – and it was agreed that the committee’s requests would be placed before COGS as an omnibus resolution:
- A. Changes made by the Council of General Synod
- B. Consequential Amendments to References in the Constitution, and
- C. Canon XIX – Forms required.
That the Council of General Synod receive the report of the Handbook Concerns Committee and forward it to General Synod 2013 with a recommendation that General Synod enact appropriate resolutions.
1. Changes made by the Council of General Synod
Confirmation of Terms of Reference of Standing Committees
Resolved that General Synod confirm the adoption or changes made by the Council of General Synod to the terms of reference of standing committees:
1. Communications and Information Resources Committee—terms of reference approved by COGS in May 2008, inadvertently not referred to General Synod 2010, referred by COGS in November 2010 to the current Handbook Concerns Committee for action at General Synod 2013 (as contained at page 136 in Appendix B in the current Handbook).
2. Communications and Information Resources Committee—references to “the Anglican Journal Board” in paragraphs 1 e) and 2 b) changed to “the Anglican Journal Committee” by COGS in May 2012.
3. Philanthropy Committee—terms of reference approved by COGS in November 2010 (as contained at page 138 in Appendix B in the current Handbook, with additional changes noted in #4 and #5 below.)
4. Philanthropy Committee—name change from “Philanthropy Committee” to “Resources for Mission Committee” in section 6 of Appendix B)—approved by COGS in March 2011.
5. Resources for Mission Committee—change in the first item in the terms of reference to read: “a) Develop and continue to update a theology of stewardship for the church.” —approved by COGS in November 2012.
6. Anglican Journal—adoption of terms of reference for the new Anglican Journal Committee (to be included as part 7 in Appendix B of the Handbook) and removal of the terms of reference for the former Anglican Journal Corporation (Appendix C in the Handbook)—approved by COGS in November 2011:
7. Anglican Journal Committee
- The Committee shall:
- (i) Be the publisher of the Anglican Journal.
- (ii) Monitor, defend and safeguard the editorial independence of the Anglican Journal.
- (iii) Support the work of the Anglican Journal staff and advise staff as requested.
- (iv) Explore and work on areas of mutual interest with the Communications and Information Resources Committee.
- (v) Produce, publish and distribute a national newspaper of interest to the members of the Anglican Church of Canada, with an independent editorial policy and not being an official voice of or for the church. When expression of opinion conflicts with official church policy, as stated by decisions of the General Synod or the Council of General Synod, the newspaper will, at the same time, carry an explanation by an informed spokesperson of the official position of the church.
- (vi) Provide a means to distribute diocesan newspapers and other materials as inserts to the national newspaper.
- (vii) Maintain a data base containing pertinent circulation information that will be available to the national and diocesan offices of the Anglican Church of Canada.
- (viii) Exercise functions to all committees, namely
-- a) Develop annual budget proposals
-- b) Communicate with other committees and groups
-- c) Report regularly to the Council of General Synod
-- d) At least once a triennium review its own mandate and review policies governing the various areas of work of the Anglican Journal.
2. Consequential Amendments to References in the Constitution
Resolved that General Synod amend the Constitution as follows:
- 1. in section 33 e) iii), change “In” to “in”; [typographical error]
- 2. in section 33 f) iii), change the reference to “subsection 33 a) viii)” to “subsection 33 a) vii)”; [typographical error]
- 3. in section 39 a) vi), change the name of the “Philanthropy Committee” to “Resources for Mission Committee”; [COGS March 2011]
- 4. in section 39 a), after vi) add “vii) Anglican Journal Committee”; [COGS November 2011]
- 5. in section 39 g), replace paragraph iv) with the following:
-- “iv) the national communications director of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada.” [COGS May 2012]
- 6. in section 39, after g) add:
-- “h) The Anglican Journal Committee shall consist of the members of the Communications and Information Committee sitting as the Anglican Journal Committee plus one additional member appointed by the Primate from the membership of the Anglican Editors’ Association (AEA).”
- and re-letter the following paragraphs accordingly. [COGS May 2012]
3. Canon XIX – Forms for Reinstatement or Restoration of the Exercise of Ministry
Resolved that General Synod amend Canon XIX to include forms for the reinstatement or restoration of the exercise of ministry in the Anglican Church of Canada.
The forms are attached as Appendix D.
Correction to Appendix J of the Handbook – Anglican Award of Merit
The references to “the Council of General Synod” in the opening words of paragraph 2 a) and in sub-paragraphs a) ii) and a) iii) will be corrected to read “the National Executive Council”. [Note: Approval to make this correction is not required, as the appendix is for information and reference purposes only.]
Committee for Next triennium
The Council of General Synod needs to appoint the members of the Handbook Concerns Committee for the next triennium.
FORMS FOR THE REINSTATEMENT OR RESTORATION OF THE EXERCISE OF MINISTRY IN THE ANGLICAN CHURCH OF CANADA
NOTICE OF REINSTATEMENT TO MINISTRY
(after prior relinquishment)
[three blank lines]
To: The Primate and all diocesan bishops in The Anglican Church of Canada
[two blank lines]
This is notification that I have reinstated . . . . [name] . . . . to the exercise of ordained ministry in The Anglican Church of Canada, pursuant to General Synod Canon XIX, section 1 e).
[one blank line]
The reinstatement was effective on . . . [date].
[three blank lines]
Bishop of the Diocese of ______________________ [*]
[* Note: The Bishop making the reinstatement must be the diocesan Bishop or the successor to the diocesan Bishop who accepted the relinquishment.]
NOTICE OF RESTORATION TO MINISTRY
(after prior abandonment)
To: The Primate, Metropolitans and all diocesan bishops in The Anglican Church of Canada
This is notification that I have restored . . . . [name] . . . . to the exercise of ordained ministry in The Anglican Church of Canada, pursuant to General Synod Canon XIX, section 2 g).
The restoration was effective on . . . [date].
Bishop of the Diocese of ___________________________ [*]
[* Note: The Bishop making the restoration must be the diocesan Bishop or the successor to the diocesan Bishop who affirmed the abandonment.]
Archbishop David Crawley and Chancellor Ronald Stevenson presented the report of the Jurisdiction Task Force and the responses to questions posed in the Terms of Reference, noting that no further efforts at definition of jurisdiction were recommended.
That the report of the Jurisdiction Task Force be received.
The mover and seconder agreed to reword the motion to read:
That the report of the Jurisdiction Task Force be received and sent to dioceses and diocesan chancellors. CARRIED #13-05-02
Council recommended that the report be disseminated more widely and that covering documentation state that it is not a new policy. The task force was discharged.
[Electronic text of: "In Service of Communion : the Final Report of the General Task Force on Jurisdiction to the Council of General Synod and the Canadian House of Bishops February 2002" is available on the web site of the General Synod of the Anglican Church of Canada at URL http://www.anglican.ca/faith/identity/in-service-of-communion.htm