That the National Executive Council request the Executive Director of Program together with appropriate staff and other local resources:
1. To catalogue the Church's present response to AIDS especially in relation to:
- a) educational material which builds awareness and equips clergy and laity in ministering to the victims and families with AIDS;
- b) ethical material which addresses human sexuality and suggests responsible behaviour for those of high risk and those who may not be of high risk;
- c) practical guidance to Canadians visiting overseas with available safeguards; to equip our PIM representatives with messages of support to assist the overseas churches facing a heightened crisis, such as the provision of sterilized medical supplies.
2. To indicate to our partner churches who are concerned that we wish to stand with them in facing this common crisis.
3. To enquire of appropriate committees and groups including and not restricted to:
- Medical/Doctrinal Sub-Committee of the Doctrine and Worship Committee of the Doctrine and Worship Committee
- Human Rights Unit
- House of Bishops
- Youth Unit
- Marriage and Related Matters
- Committee on Ministry
- Partners in World Mission Committee
- Primate's World Relief and Development Fund
as to what further initiatives they plan to undertake. CARRIED #42-10-87
That a second task force be struck by the National Executive Council to review both the constitutional and administrative documents that presently exist concerning the General Secretary and to draft a full job description of the position of General Secretary which would - among other things -
a) clearly describe the relationships among the General Secretary, the Executive Director of Program, and the Treasurer;
b) outline the salary ranges of the General Secretary and clearly establish the process for and frequency of salary reviews;
c) describe the relationship and function that the General Secretary has as the Deputy Chief Executive Officer of General Synod with reference to the Primate and to the national staff;
d) distinguish the difference between:
i. the General Secretary;
ii. the Senior Provincial Metropolitan's functions as the Acting Primate of the Anglican Church of Canada in the event of the death or incapacity of the Primate;
iii. the Prolocutor's function as the "Deputy" Chair of General Synod;
e) investigate the merit of establishing a definite term of office for senior executive positions;
f) outline clearly and with greater specificity both the authority and the accountability of the General Secretary;
g) describe the parameters of the position of General Secretary so that this ministry could be equally, though not identically, served by either a cleric or a lay person;
and report back to the National Executive Council no later than March 1989. CARRIED #28-05-87
The Primate referred to the Constitution which states that the General Secretary shall be appointed by the National Executive Committee.
One of the issues involved has to do with the question of a body of this size making an appointment, and because of that a Search Committee was appointed. In other places (House of Bishops) if a situation involves specific names of persons that part of the meeting has been held "In Camera". The Council was asked for its opinion as to how it wished to proceed.
That this be an In Camera session. CARRIED #21-05-87
Moved by: Rt. Rev. J.F.S. Conlin
Seconded by: Rt. Rev. W.H. Jones
That the staff people to remain be Pamela Bird as a resource person and Lorraine Perch as Secretary to the National Executive Council. CARRIED #22-05-87
Moved by: Ven. A.R. Reed
Seconded by: Rt. Rev. H.J.P. Allan
That the person designated as functioning with the press be requested to remain. CARRIED #23-05-87
That this National Executive Council express its dismay over the unauthorized involvement of the Bishop of London [Graham Leonard] in a parish which is not in communion with the Episcopal Church of the U.S.A. and outside his jurisdiction and convey its support to the Church of England House of Bishops and to the House of Bishops of the Episcopal Church of the U.S.A. regarding their stands on this jurisdictional matter. CARRIED #63-11-86
That a consultation be held with representatives from the Board of Trustees of the Canadian Churchman and members of the National Executive Council to address among other issues, the guidelines required to resolve issues where editorial practice is in conflict with the pastoral and programme prerogatives of the national Church and the dioceses.
That this National Executive Council welcomes the admission of the Ethiopian Orthodox Church into full membership in the Canadian Council of Churches, and give approval to the application for membership of the Canadian jurisdiction of the Orthodox Church in America. CARRIED #61-11-86