That this General Synod amend the Rules of Order as follows:
- 1. deleting section 17(d);
- 2. amending section 18(b) to read as follows:
-- b) The three Orders of Bishops, Clergy and Laity shall vote together unless a vote by Orders is required by the Constitution or called for pursuant to the Rules of Order. In order to be passed the motion shall require a majority of the votes cast, and abstentions shall not be counted in determining the majority.
- 3. amending section 18(d) to read as follows:
-- d) When voting by Orders, the vote shall be put to all members of General Synod regardless of the result in any order.
- 4. adding section 20(a.1) to read as follows:
--a.1) Ex officio and other non-diocesan members of General Synod shall vote with the diocese in which they are normally geographically resident for laity, or canonically resident, for clergy.
and this resolution shall come into effect upon Second Reading being given to Resolution A019 (Act 13).
Moved by: The Very Rev. Iain Luke
Seconded by: Canon Terry Leer
That Clause 4 be removed from the resolution.
Motion to table
Moved by: Mr. James Sweeney [sic i.e. Sweeny]
That the motion be tabled.
There being no seconder for the Motion to Table, consideration of the amendment continued.
1. Affirm the following goals of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada:
- Prepare a comprehensive historical record on the policies and operations of Indian Residential Schools;
- Complete a publicly accessible report that will include recommendations to the Government of Canada concerning the Indian Residential School system and its legacy;
- Establish a research centre by the end of its mandate that will be a permanent resource for all Canadians;
- Host seven national events in different regions across Canada to promote awareness and public education about the Indian Residential School system and its impact;
- Support events designed by individual communities to meet their unique needs;
- Support a Commemoration Initiative that will provide funding for activities that honour and pay tribute in a permanent and lasting manner to former Indian Residential School students.
2. Request the General Secretary and the Council of General Synod to ensure adequate resources for the Anglican Church of Canada to support and participate fully in the work of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada over the next five years (2010-2015).
3. Reaffirm the 3 goals for equipping leaders, taken from the 'Equipping Ambassadors of Reconciliation' conference hosted by the Anglican, United and Presbyterian Churches in Orillia, Ontario in November 2009:
- To provide training and resources to ensure that every church member has knowledge of the history of the Indian Residential Schools system, the mandate and purpose of the official Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada (TRC), and the possible roles of ordinary citizens in the official processes of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission
- To provide training and resources to ensure that former students of Indian Residential School are given the opportunity to tell the story of his or her experience in a safe and respectful manner. These may be former students of Indian Residential Schools who are or were church members or who reside in the same communities or urban friendship or ministry centres.
- To provide training and resources to encourage all Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal church members to work actively together to build right relationships with each other.
4. Recommend that the Anglican Church of Canada co-host at least two and up to three more events modeled after the first 'Equipping Ambassadors of Reconciliation' conference during the 2010-2013 triennium, if possible in Western, Eastern, and Northern Canada.
That this General Synod amend section 3 of the Constitution to read as follows:
3. President and Chairperson of the General Synod
- a) The President of the General Synod shall be the Primate of The Anglican Church of Canada, who shall be elected and hold office under, and have such privileges, powers, authority and duties as are defined by the Constitution, Canons and Rules enacted by the Synod.
- b) In case of the absence of the Primate for any cause, the archbishop senior by appointment or election, or if no archbishop be present the bishop senior by appointment or election, shall be and act as President of the Synod.
- c) The President shall be chairperson of the General Synod.
- d) In the absence, or at the request, of the President, the Prolocutor shall be the chairperson of the synod.
That this General Synod amend section 6 of the Constitution to read as follows:
6. Separate meetings of Orders
- a) The agenda of the General Synod may provide for separate meetings of the three Orders.
- b) When the three Orders meet separately
-- i) the Primate shall be the chairperson of the Order of Bishops, or in the absence of the Primate, the archbishop senior by appointment or election, or if no archbishop be present, the bishop senior by appointment or election;
-- ii) the Prolocutor or the Deputy Prolocutor, whichever is a member of the Order of Clergy, shall be the chairperson of the Order of Clergy, or in the absence of the said officer, the Order of Clergy shall elect a chairperson;
-- iii) the Prolocutor or the Deputy Prolocutor, whichever is a member of the Order of Laity, shall be the chairperson of the Order of Laity, or in the absence of the said officer, the Order of Laity shall elect a chairperson.
That this General Synod amend section 8(f) of the Constitution to read as follows:
- f) Each Diocese shall be entitled to elect clerical and lay members of the General Synod, with the number from each Order being determined by the following formula:
- Average Weekly Attendance in the Diocese divided by Average Weekly Attendance in all Dioceses, multiplied by 110.
- Provided that:
-- (i) the resulting number will be at least 1;
-- (ii) if the resulting number is a fractional number and is greater than 1, it will be rounded down to the nearest whole number if the fraction is 0.5 or less, and rounded up to the nearest whole number if the fraction is greater than 0.5;
-- (iii) "Average Weekly Attendance" means the combined total attendance at Regular Services in the particular calendar year, divided by 52;
-- (iv) the Average Weekly Attendance figures to be used are those for the second calendar year prior to the year in which General Synod will take place;
-- (v) "Regular Service" means any worship service for which the attendance has been recorded in the Register of the Congregation (including Home Communions) but excluding weddings, funerals and services held in medical or long-term care facilities.
and this resolution shall come into effect upon Second Reading being given to Resolution A019.
That this General Synod amend section 33 of the Constitution as follows:
- (a) by changing "forty-five percent" to "twenty-five percent" in section 33 a) v) I;
- (b) by deleting the words in section 33 a) v) after section 33 a) v) II);
- (c) by rewording section 33(e) (iii) to read as follows:
-- iii) in the case of a member elected under subsection 33 a) v) or vi), ceases to be eligible for membership in a synod of the diocese in the ecclesiastical province that he or she represents, or
- (d) by adding section 33 e) iv) as follows:
-- iv) in the case of a member elected under 33 a) vii) ceases to be eligible to represent the Anglican Ordinariate,
- (e) in section 33 f), by substituting "metropolitan" for "bishop" and "ecclesiastical province" for "diocese" in paragraph i), deleting the comma at the end of paragraph ii) and adding paragraph iii) as follows:
-- iii) in the case of a member elected under the provisions of subsection 33 a) vii), be filled by the Prolocutor, in consultation with the Bishop Ordinary of the Canadian Forces.
Informal Session (Committee of the Whole)
Moved by: Mr. David Jones
Seconded by: The Rt. Rev. Susan Moxley
That this General Synod move into an informal session for the consideration of this motion. CARRIED
The proposed reduction in the size of the Council of General Synod was discussed.
That this General Synod move out of informal session. CARRIED
The resolution was then put and was - CARRIED IN ALL ORDERS Act 19