That this National Executive Council recognizes with gratitude the 30th Anniversary of John Ligertwood's service as National Treasurer of our Church. We are grateful for his many gifts and extraordinary faithfulness in that office. CARRIED
Bishop Bothwell asked Bishop Lackey to report on the Evaluation Committee. The evaluation will be done in two stages by means of questionnaires with a report to the November meeting of the National Executive Council.
The Primate suggested two supporting factors in connection with Anglicans in Mission: the dedication of Mrs. Joy Maclaren and the work of the Community Counselling Service.
"That an expression of appreciation be sent to Mrs. Maclaren." CARRIED Act 25
That this National Executive Council express to Canon Ebert Hobbs its deep appreciation for his imaginative and forceful leadership as National Director of the Anglicans in Mission Program from 1981 to 1985.
Anglicans in Mission will be remembered, not just for its remarkable financial achievement, but also for the development of new leadership, the long-term emphasis on mission study, and for the remarkable uplift its success provided to many parishes and dioceses, and indeed to the whole Canadian Church.
Canon Hobbs has set a high standard of executive leadership in the Anglican Church of Canada, and has taught us a great deal about the value of careful planning and consultation. His leadership style was uniquely suited to draw together the Canadian Church into a cohesive and extremely effective national, diocesan and parish program. As one of the chief architects of this program, and then as its primary executive officer, Ebert Hobbs has earned our profound gratitude. CARRIED
Canon Hobbs thanked the members of the National Execeutive Council for their on-going support of the Anglicans in Mission program. He expressed regret that it is not, at the present time, possible for him to continue his ministry in the institutional Church but said that he looks forward with enthusiasm and hope to a new form of ministry with Community Counselling Service in related work.
That this National Executive Council approve the Terms of Reference and membership of the Anglicans in Mission Committee as follows:
Terms of Reference of the Anglicans in Mission Committee
a) Overseeing Collection Process.
b) Communicating with the donors and the general Church on the accomplishment and status of the Anglicans in Mission goals.
c) Monitoring the management of the Anglicans in Mission funds.
Membership of the Anglicans in Mission Committee
Mrs. Ruth Barrett, Mr. Gordon Elliott, Mrs. Diane Maybee, the Venerable Keith McKean, Mrs. Joy Maclaren, Rt. Rev. R. Townshend and Mr. Page Wadsworth.
Later in the meeting it was
Moved by: Very Rev. I.L. Robertson
Seconded by: Mrs. P. McBeth
That this National Executive Council express to the members of the Steering Committee of Anglicans in Mission our sincere thanks and gratitude for their devotion and strong leadership to the church-at-large during this major undertaking. CARRIED
That the National Executive Council approve an expenditure of $700,000 from the Anglicans in Mission National Overage Funds to be allocated in 1984 for programs and projects approved for Overage Funds use.
Of this $700,000 for 1984, $420,000 will be allocated to the Canadian North, Overseas and Pension purposes on a 9/6/5 ratio and that $280,000 be allocated for other program categories as approved by the National Executive Council. CARRIED
That this National Executive Council authorizes the first phase of the Continuity and Planning Study proposed by the Community Charitable Counselling Services at a cost of $2,500, plus expenses, the cost to come from Anglicans in Mission funds. Further, that this be done in consultation with the Funding Strategy Unit and Anglicans in Mission National Steering Committee with a view to bringing a report to the National Executive Council in the Spring of 1984.
1. that the appropriate committee developing the respective Anglicans in Mission Cases for support of the Canadian North, Overseas and the Pension Supplement, as well as any additional projects, present these Cases in the form of program categories, e.g. Training for Ministry, program of the Proclamation of the Gospel, Church Development, and so on;
2. these categories be approved as the categories for which funding is sought and that all expenditures of Anglicans in Mission funds be limited to these approved categories;
3. specific programs and projects in each of these categories, for the years of 1984-1985, be included in the Anglicans in Mission Case;
4. in the following years the Program Committee and the Pension Committee make recommendations to the Fall meeting of the National Executive Council for the expenditure of Anglicans in Mission funds in the next calendar year; such recommendations to include interpretive material on each program or project for which funding is requested.
With reference to Overseas and Canadian North funding the procedures will be as follows:
a) each Fall the WMSC and the Council of the North will submit to the Program Committee for report to the National Executive Council the amount of Anglicans in Mission funds to be used for the next calendar year and their allocation by categories, for overseas and in the Canadian North. Projects in process approved to date and grants made in the first six months of the year are also to be reported to the National Executive Council;
b) each Spring there shall be a further report of projects approved to date and the actual expenditures for the last six months of the previous year;
c) the selections of specific projects overseas shall be the responsibility of the WMSC;
d) each emergency need may be met up to a cost of $5,000 upon consultation between the Director of World Mission and the Chairman of WMSC in the case of Overseas grants; and by the Council of the North Grants Committee in the case of Northern grants.
5. the National Executive Council report to the Church annually on the expenditure of Anglicans in Mission funds together with information on the work accomplished in the previous year through Anglicans in Mission;
6. financial statements on Anglicans in Mission be included in the regular quarterly and annual financial reports. CARRIED