RESOLVED That Canon IX, Part 3, be amended as follows:
(1) To strike out the word "three" in clause (e) of subsection (1) of Section 23, and substitute the word "two" so that such clause will read as follows:
"(e) Two members of the Board of Finance appointed by the Board."
(2) To strike out the word "Two" in clause (f) of subsection (1) of Section 23 and substitute the word "one" so that such clause will read:
"(f) The General Secretary and one member of the Executive Committee of the Department of Missions."
(3) To add the following as clause (i):
"(i) Four members, not necessarily members of the Synod, appointed by the Budget Committee at its first meeting following a Session of the Synod."
(4) To add to subsection (4) of Section 23 the following words "or its Executive Committee", so that it will read:
"(4) The members of the Committee shall be entitled to receive their travelling expenses when attending meetings of the committee or its Executive Committee."
(5) To add a new subsection to Section 23 to read as follows:
"(5) The Committee at its first meeting following a session of the Synod shall appoint an executive committee consisting of the chairman, the secretary, and eight other members and such executive committee shall carry on the work of the Budget Committee between regular meetings thereof and shall act for the committee in cases of emergency and in matters referred to it by the committee.
That in line 2 of Subsection 2 of Section 4 (Duties of the Honorary Treasurer) of Canon IX (Handbook, p.114) the words, "annual session of the Executive Council and at each," be deleted, so that said Subsection 2 will read:
"2. He shall present statements of account duly audited by the Synod auditors at each...session of the Synod, etc." CARRIED in both Houses.
Anglican Church of Canada. General Synod. Constitution. Canon IX
Anglican Church of Canada. General Synod. Honorary Treasurer
That subsection (1) of Section 4 (The Lower House) (Handbook, p.15) be amended by striking out the words, "provided that the Bishops of The Dioceses of Yukon and The Arctic may appoint non-resident Members" in said subsection, so that it will then read as follows:
"(1) The members of the Lower House shall be elected by the several Diocesan Synods according to such rules as they may adopt, or, in a Diocese which has no Synodical organization, may be appointed by the Bishop, such members to be in all cases resident in the Diocese which they represent; provided that the Chancellor of a Diocese wherever he may be resident shall be eligible for election or appointment as a member for a Diocese of which he is Chancellor." CARRIED unanimously Message L-25.
That Rule 4, subsection 1 be repealed, and the following substituted therefor:
"(1) The election of a Prolocutor shall take place on the earlier of the fifth or the last day of the Session of the Synod prior to the election of members of the Executive Council and shall be by ballot after open nomination." CARRIED Message L-33.
That Rule 9A, subsection 2 be amended to read as follows:
"2. In the consideration of any report submitted by any standing or special committee or commission the members of such committee or commission may be permitted by resolution the privilege of sitting in the House and participating in its debate, but shall not be entitled to vote on any question." CARRIED Message L-34.
That Rule 19, subsection 3, lines 4 and 5, be amended so that the subsection shall read as follows:
"3. Whenever a member of the Upper House ceases to be a member of that House by reason of death, or having resigned by reason of residency outside of Canada, his place on any Board, Council or Standing Committee of the Synod shall be filled by the Primate, who shall thereupon communicate such appointment to the General Secretary of the Synod." CARRIED Message L-36.
That the words "or the Central Executive Committee" be struck out wherever they occur in Subsection (1) of Section 33A (Commissions) so that said Section will then read as follows:
"(1) The Primate, the General Synod, or the Executive Council may at any time appoint a Commission, composed of any number of persons, whether members of the Synod or not, for the purposes defined in the resolution or instrument of appointment; such Commission to report its findings and recommendations to the Primate, the Synod, or the Executive Council as directed in the resolution or instrument appointing such Commission." CARRIED in both Houses.
That Section 38 of the present Constitution (Handbook, p.51) be repealed, and the following substituted therefore:
"38. Report to General Synod
1. There shall be sent to each member of the General Synod, not less than thirty days prior to each regular session of the Synod, a report in summary form of the matters considered and dealt with by the Executive Council since the last regular session of the Synod.
2. This report shall be presented to the General Synod for consideration." CARRIED in both Houses.
That Section 41, Department Reports (Handbook, p.52) be repealed and the following substituted therefore:
"1. Each such Board or Council shall submit a report of its work to the Synod for consideration at each regular session of the Synod. It shall also submit a report to each meeting of the Executive Council unless the said Council otherwise directs.
2. In conjunction with its report to the Synod each such Board or Council shall also submit a programme of proposed activities for the next biennium, together with a detailed budget of the amount required to implement such a programme.
3. On the consideration of any report submitted by the Board or Council of any department to the Synod, members of such department, to a number not exceeding ten, elected by the departmental Board or Council in accordance with the procedure stated in the Canon governing the department, shall be entitled to be present with the privilege of debate." CARRIED in both Houses.