That the NEC or it successor establish a Mission Audit Team which, in cooperation with the Implementation Team for "Preparing the Way", would examine the current Mission Statement and activity of each committee, council and board of the General Synod to:
- ensure relevancy to the vision of General Synod which gave reason for its existence;
- decipher the degree of inter-unit cooperation and sharing so that common goals are indentified and supported;
- explore the method of operation of the unit so that the means and end result are in accord with the current mission and direction of the General Synod;
- report to the NEC with appropriate recommendations on the adequacy of resourcing for the task which the unit has been called to do, and the methods which may be developed to seek additional funds beyond budget allotments, so that conflict may be avoided where possible;
- make such other comments and recommendations touching the ministry activity of the committees, councils and boards of the General Synod as it deems necessary and appropriate. CARRIED #48-03-95
That the Terms of Reference for the Mission Audit Team of NEC or its successor be adopted. CARRIED #49-03-95
(The Terms of Reference are found in Appendix H)
Mission Audit Team - Terms of Reference
To assist the NEC or its successor, and its Implementation Team for Preparing the Way, to ensure that the standing committees, councils and boards in the new structure continue to creatively serve the General Synod priorities.
To conduct an audit of each committee, council and board seeking to:
- discern the relevancy of the unit's work in the vision of General Synod which gave reason for its existence;
- discover the degree of inter-unit cooperation and sharing experienced by and participated in by the unit;
- explore the method of operation of the unit so that the means and end result are in accord with the current mission and direction of General Synod;
- discover the adequacy of resourcing for the task which the unit has been called to do, and the methods which might be developed to seek additional funds, if needed, within the context of a coordinated General Synod fundraising strategy;
- offer each unit an opportunity for constructive self-evaluation;
To make comments and recommendations to the NEC or its successor touching the ministry activity of the committees, councils and boards of the General Synod;
To work in collaboration with the Implementation Team, supplementing its work and responding to its concerns for evaluation and its questions;
To develop a prototype audit to share with other parts of the Church for their use and adaptation.
Reports to the National Executive Council, or its successor.
Four members, supplemented in each audit by other volunteers and/or staff who would be particularly able to contribute because of their expertise.
- evaluation skills
- consultation skills
- commitment to a unified yet diverse ministry of the General Synod
Term of Office/Method of Appointment
It is suggested that an application process for these positions would be the most appropriate way to seek out Anglicans best suited for this task. A search through the Primate's Office may be required to supplement this process, where necessary. Appointments will be made by the Primate and Prolocutor, in consultation.
Term of Office: Three years.
One planning meeting at the beginning of each triennium would be essential to develop the process. Another meeting, towards the end of the triennium, would enable summary, reflection and self-audit. Conference calls would suffice in between.
Actual audits would probably take 2-3 days; two days for the audit and one day to develop a report to the "Preparing the Way Implementation Team" and to the National Executive Council, or its successor. However, it is unlikely that more than one per year would be done by any one member, if the theory is followed of recruiting people with particular expertise. A suggestion might be that audits be conducted outside Toronto so that experts in various parts of the country can be involved in implementing the audit process.
Benefits to Members
- an opportunity to provide expertise to the Church nationally
- a clearer understanding of the Church and its ministry
- an increased sense of unity in the ministry of the Church nationally
1. agree in principle to the sale of Church House and the leasing of required office space at the Mutual Centre at Islington Avenue and Bloor Street, Etobicoke, provided that:
a) proceeds from the sale are invested and interest only used to cover the major portion of future rent;
b) the Officers are satisfied that the specific financial transactions are in the best interests of General Synod;
c) consideration be given to the future site of the Anglican Book Centre either at the new site, or elsewhere in the city core;
d) the financial package include repayment of approx. $530,000 advanced from the Fry bequest for Church House redevelopment purposes;
e) further consultation be held with St. Paul's Church.
2. engage Royal Lepage Real Estate Services Ltd. to act on behalf of General Synod in assisting in the sale of Church House and the leasing of new space.
3. authorize the Officers to approve any agreements required with respect to the sale of National Office property and leasing of new office space at the Mutual Centre, and that this authorization expire at the beginning of the meeting of the National Executive Council in March, 1995.
Moved by : Mr. Justice Ron Stevenson
Seconded by Mrs. Lorna Janze
That, in paragraph 1, the words "at the Mutual Centre at Islington Avenue and Bloor Street West, Etobicoke," be deleted.
That, in paragraph 2, the words "and if necessary other advisors" be added after Royal Lepage Real Estate Services Ltd.
That, in paragraph 3, the words "at the Mutual Centre" in the second line be deleted.
The mover and seconder of the amendment agreed to the following revisions:
In paragraph #1, line #1, to read "leasing or purchasing"
In paragraph #2, line #2, to read "leasing or purchasing"
In paragraph #3, line #2, to read "leasing or purchasing"
Item 1 a), line #1, to add "If new space is leased" before "proceeds from the sale".
That the motion and amendments be tabled until the next meeting of NEC. CARRIED #42-11-94