At the request of the Pension Committee, and in line with terms of reference of the Pension Trustees of Canon VIII with respect to their authority over Pension Fund investments, the A&F Committee requested approval of an amendment to Canon VI.
That Section 7 of Canon VI be amended by the addition of the words "excluding Pension Funds" after the word "thereon" in line 3, and that Notice of Motion to this effect be included in the Convening Circular. CARRIED
That the proposed policy for salary reviews for Senior Executive Staff be approved, as follows:
1. Review of the performance and compensation of the Executive Director of Program, Director of Pensions, Directors of other non-Program operations, Editor of Canadian Churchman, the General Secretary and General Treasurer of General Synod shall be the responsibility of the Primate, as chief executive officer of the national staff.
2. The performance and compensation review shall be performed as of January 1st of each year.
3. The Primate, in consultation with the Chairman of the appropriate board or committee, shall undertake the annual performance review using the Position Appraisal Report form and reviewing the completed evaluation with the person concerned.
4. The Primate, in consultation with the Chairman of the Administration and Finance Committee or failing him the Chairman of the Budget Sub-Committee, shall be authorized to approve salary changes, within the ranges approved by National Executive Council.
5. The Executive Director of Program shall perform the above for Program Directors and the Director of Planning. CARRIED
That the recommendations of the Administration and Finance Committee for Senior Staff appointments be approved.
After discussion, a subsequent motion was presented.
Moved by Hodge
Seconded by Seaborn
That the recommendations be referred to the Organization Committee for further consultation with the Administration and Finance Committee. DEFEATED
The role of the Primate in taking the initiative in making appointments was discussed.
That the Administration and Finance proposals re the appointment of Senior Staff, and the wider question of the Primate's role and initiative in this respect, be referred to the Organization Committee. CARRIED
Members of NEC were furnished with copies of a brief from the bishops and clergy of the diocese by Mr. A. Cameron, containing the following recommendations.
1. That the General Synod Nominating Committee give careful consideration to adequate representation of the Diocese of Moosonee on General Synod Committees.
2. That advance notice of agenda items be provided before National Executive Council meetings.
3. In future, cuts in block grants be negotiated by consultation with the diocese, taking into account the discrepancies of the financial obligations among assisted dioceses.
That the Brief be received and that recommendation #1 be referred to the Organization Committee and recommendation #2 to the General Secretary. CARRIED
The recommendation concerning Block Grants was discussed and Mr. Arnold pointed to the amount of work done by the National Staff in this area.
Moved by Arnold, seconded by Hobson,
That the recommendation concerning Block Grants be referred to the Task Force appointed earlier in this meeting to review the overall strategy and priorities of the Anglican Church of Canada, with particular attention to the developing areas of the north. CARRIED
The General Secretary reported on correspondence he had received:
a) from the Bishop of Newfoundland, the Rt. Rev. R.L. Seaborn, regarding an edition of the New Hymn Book without music (to be dealt with later in the agenda under the Doctrine and Worship Committee Report).
b) from the Rt. Rev. G.B. Snell, announcing that Bishop Swaby from the Diocese of Jamaica would be attending the meeting on November 12th as his guest.
c) from the Rt. Rev. T. Greenwood concerning his letter to the Canadian Churchman re Amritsar.
d) from the Lay Secretary of the Diocese of Toronto, requesting the setting up of a Committee on Religion and Health.
e) from the Secretary-Treasurer of the Diocese of Toronto, regarding the General Synod assessment for 1972.
f) from the House of Bishops, reporting resolutions concerning the Manpower Office, the admission of Senior Staff to the House of Bishops meetings, and
Bishop Seaborn introduced the following motion regarding a no-music edition of the New Hymn Book:
Moved by Seaborn
Seconded by Cooper
That the NEC of the Anglican Church of Canada request that steps be taken immediately to have printed a "no-music" edition of the New Hymn Book to be of the approximate size of the Book of Common Prayer (standard edition).
After some discussion, a motion for referral was presented.
That the resolution relating to a separate printing of the Hymn Book without music be referred to the General Secretary to ascertain the probable costs involved and report to the next meeting of NEC. CARRIED
At this point, Mr. Ron Stratford (the new AYM Coordinator) was introduced and warmly welcomed by the NEC.
A list of twenty-four young people, nominated by the Diocesan Bishops, was presented.
Moved by Smith, seconded by Merriman,
That a Nominating Committee, composed of persons selected from among the NEC by the Primate, be requested to bring in fifteen nominations. LOST
Moved by Gartrell, seconded by Smith,
That the balloting on youth delegates to General Synod be closed at 10:00am on February 8, 1973. CARRIED
Moved by Soward, seconded by Jackson,
That in the event that any of the fifteen youth delegates elected to General Synod cannot attend, the next person on the ballot shall take his or her place. CARRIED
Due to the difficulty encountered by some members of NEC in dealing with this selection procedure, the motion was presented:
Moved by Brown, seconded by Naylor,
That the Organization Committee be asked to look into this whole matter, and that the right of the Primate to appoint to General Synod representatives of the wider constituency of the Church be considered. CARRIED
Canon Clennett gave Notice of Motion regarding the election of youth delegates to General Synod (see next page).
At a later session of the meeting, the motion was presented.
That we accept further names for youth delegates to Synod. CARRIED