(1) To amend section (2) (Powers) of Canon IX (Finance) Part I, p.97, by striking out all words after the word "security" in the second last line, so that the section will read as follows:
(1) Subject to the provisions of any legislation affecting the investment of trust funds or the funds held by the Board, and subject to the provisions of Part II, the Board shall have the management and control of the Consolidated Trust Fund and of all property, securities and moneys, which now are or which may hereafter become vested in, held by, or entrusted to the General Synod for management or investment, and may make such lawful investments of the same in such sums and at such rates of interest and on such terms as the said Board shall in its discretion deem advisable, provided that, except those securities set out in subsection (a) of Section 63 in Chapter 46 of the Act of the Parliament of Canada (22-23 George V) dealing with Canadian or British insurance companies, or in amendments thereto, no more than $50,000 shall be invested in any one security.
To repeal Section 28 of Canon IX (Finance) (p.103), and substitute the following:
The Treasurer of each Diocese shall remit quarterly on the last days of March, June, September and December all moneys received by him for or on account of the assessment or apportionment of said Diocese to the General Treasurer of the General Synod.
RESOLVED That the Constitution be amended as follows:
To insert the word "General" before the word "Treasurer" wherever the said word occurs in subsections 2, 3 and 6 of Section 28 (Expenses of Synod) of the Constitution (pp.30 and 41), so that such subsections will read as follows:
2. The Board of Finance shall determine annually the amount to be assessed hereunder on such basis as may be authorized by the Synod from time to time on the recommendations of the Board of Finance and such assessment shall be paid to the General Treasurer of the Synod and credited to an account to be known as General Synod Expense Account.
3. Out of the moneys at credit of such account the General Treasurer is authorized to pay etc.
6. From the income derived from the General Synod Executive Council Endowment Fund or other funds, the income from which is available for the purpose hereunder mentioned, the General Treasurer is authorized to pay etc.
RESOLVED That Canon IX (Finance) be amended as follows:
To insert the words "General Treasurer of the Synod" in subsection (a) of Section 3, "Duties", of Part 1, so that the relevant part of the Section will read:
3. It shall be the duty of the Board and it is hereby authorized and empowered:
(a) To appoint a Chairman, Secretary, Assistant Secretary, General Treasurer of the Synod, Assistant Treasurer, comptroller, accountants and such other officers as the Board may deem necessary and to define their duties and remunerations.
RESOLVED That the Constitution be amended as follows:
(1) Treasurer (Handbook, p.35)
By inserting the word "Honorary" before the word "Treasurer" wherever the latter word occurs in Section 17, p.35, so that this Section will read as follows:
17. Honorary Treasurer
1. At each session of the Synod an Honorary Treasurer, who may or may not be a member of the Synod, shall be elected by the Lower House, who shall remain in office until the next session or until his successor is appointed. In the event of the Honorary Treasurer not being a member of the General Synod, on his election, he shall have the rights and privileges of the Synod while financial matters are under review.
2. It shall be the duty of the Honorary Treasurer to receive and disburse all moneys of the Synod under the authority of the Synod or the Executive Council and to perform such other duties as may be prescribed by the Constitution, Canons and resolutions of the Synod.
3. Any vacancy occurring in the office of Honorary Treasurer by death, resignation or otherwise, shall be filled by the Primate, with the concurrence of the Prolocutor, which appointment shall be reported to the next session of the Executive Council or Synod, whichever shall be first held.
(2) Executive Council (Handbook, p.44)
By inserting the word "Honorary" before the word "Treasurer" in subsection 1 of Section 35 (Executive Council), p.44, so that it will read as follows:
1. There shall be an Executive Council of the Synod, consisting of all the members of the Upper House, the Prolocutor of the Lower House, the Deputy Prolocutor, the Honorary Treasurer of the
That the following be added to the Rules of Order as 24B:
"24B. No motion on any subject shall be made or presented, received or discussed at any sitting of the Synod or Executive Council after the time fixed by the Agenda Committee for the discussion of such subject and its consideration has been considered. CARRIED Message L-25.
That Section 13 (Credentials), subsection (3) (Handbook, p.34) be amended to read as follows:
"(3) In case any of the said members mentioned in such certificate shall be unable to attend, a certificate signed by the Bishop, or in his absence by the Secretaries of the Diocesan Synod, that (A.B.) being a Clerical (or Lay) Member from the Diocese is unable to attend and that (C.D.) is authorized under the rules adopted by the Synod of that Diocese to fill his place as member shall be final and conclusive whether presented before or during the Session of the General Synod." CARRIED Message L-23.
That Section 35 of the Constitution be amended by adding the following subsection:
"(8) If by reason of illness or other temporary cause, a member of the Executive Council is thereby unable to attend a meeting of the Executive Council, the Bishop of the diocese shall nominate to the Prolocutor another member of the Diocesan Synod to attend the General Synod, for appointment by the Prolocutor as a substitute or alternate member of the Executive Council in place of the regularly elected or appointed member of the Executive Council unable to attend such meeting, and such substitute or alternate member shall have full privileges of membership during such meeting, but shall not displace the regularly elected or appointed member, nor shall such substitute or alternate thereby become a member of the Electoral College. CARRIED Message L-24.
That Section 3(a) of the Basis of Constitution (Journal 1927, p.381) be repealed and the following substituted therefor:
"The Primate of All Canada shall be elected and hold office under, and have such privileges, power, authority and duties as may be defined by the Constitution, Canons and Rules enacted by the Synod and such other duties as appertain to the office."
That Section 6 of the Constitution (Journal, p.387) be amended by deleting the words "elected in the manner provided by the Basis of Constitution." CARRIED by a 2/3 majority.