The following statement was presented for consideration:
In response to the critical problem of Acid Rain and in the light of Christian theology, we support public policies that are consistent with the following guidelines:
1. Vigorous national and international action including bilateral co-operation between the governments of the United States and Canada to control acid rain.
2. Cleanup of sufficient magnitude to reduce emissions of sulphur dioxide and oxides of nitrogen to a level necessary to protect the health of our most sensitive environments and individuals.*
3. Industrial and pollution abatement/control strategies that:
a) are environmentally sound
b) preserve existing jobs and create new ones (note amendment below)
c) encourage energy conservation and renewable energy systems.
4. Adequate funding of cleanup that will:
a) achieve by 1990 the necessary education [sic] of emissions that cause acid rain
b) distribute costs fairly among corporations, governments and consumers
c) support research into environmentally sound technologies.
5. Increased citizen participation in the legislative, regulatory, judicial and corporate accountability processes pertaining to sources and reduction of acid rain. This requires more citizen access to, and review of information regarding government and corporate cleanup plans.
6. Rigorous enforcement of clean air laws and regulations consistent with the above objectives.
* Current evidence suggests that S)2 emissions must be reduced in the United States and Canada by 50% from 1980 levels, toward reducing wet sulphate deposition to less than 18 lbs./acre/year (20 kilograms/hectare/year) to protect moderately sensitive areas and 8 lbs./acre/year (9 Kilograms/hectare/year) to protect extremely sensitive areas.
That this National Executive Council approve these Guidelines, and refer them to the Public Social Responsibility Unit for action.
Moved by: Rt. Rev. J.C. Bothwell
Seconded by: Rt. Rev. E.K. Lackey
That item 3(b) be amended to read, "seek to preserve existing jobs and create new ones. CARRIED