That this Synod adopt the document "A Proclamation of Responsibility" and refer it to the Council of General Synod for the development of 'Procedures for Implementation' and report to the 36th session of the General Synod.
Proclamation of Responsibility:
As a Community of Faith we strive for justice and peace among all people, and respect the dignity of every human being.
We, the Anglican Church of Canada, proclaim and fulfill our responsibility to be accountable in our treatment of all persons as being made in the image of God.
This treatment applies to all persons without discrimination on the basis of age, sex, sexual orientation, family or marital status, race, colour, ethnic (or place of) origin, ancestry, disability, creed or socio-economic status.
We agree to:
1. Ensure that all persons are treated with courtesy and integrity, and respond to all pastoral situations with respect and compassion.
2. Ensure equal and fair treatment of:
- all persons for whom we provide educational, medical or financial assistance;
- all persons occupying church property or being accommodated in institutions provided by or governed by the church.
3. Ensure that all who qualify will be able to vote. (All Baptized persons who qualify, in accordance with the relevant canons and constitutions, shall be eligible to vote at General meetings of their parish and at Synod.)
4. Ensure that all who qualify will be considered for election. (All Baptized persons who qualify, in accordance with the relevant canons and constitutions, shall be eligible to hold elected positions in the church.)
5. Ensure that all who qualify will be considered for service. (All Baptized persons who qualify, in accordance with the relevant canons and constitutions, shall be eligible to have their vocations tested and to be considered for service in the life and on the committees of the church.)
6. Ensure that employees are fairly treated. (All persons employed by the church shall be employed on the basis of ability, skills and experience appropriate to the position.)
The mover and seconder agreed to amend item #1 (under "We agree to") by adding the words "to whom we minister" before "are treated", to read as follows:
Ensure that all persons to whom we minister are treated with courtesy and integrity ....
Motion to Refer
Moved by: Dr. G. Egerton
Seconded by: Rev. T. Chesterton
That this resolution be referred to the Council of the General Synod for consideration.
Moved by: Archdeacon S. DeGruchy
Seconded by: Miss A. Weir
That the resolution be referred to the Eco-Justice Committee (instead of the Council of General Synod).
Amendment to the Amendment
Moved by: Rev. A. Perry
Seconded by: Mrs. C. Greenwood
That the resolution be referred to the House of Bishops, in consultation with the Eco-Justice Committee.
The amendment to the amendment was then put and - DEFEATED
Motion to End Debate
Moved by: Rev. K. Denman
Seconded by: Mr. D. Lewis
That the question on the amendment now be put. CARRIED
The amendment was then put and - DEFEATED
Seconded by: Rev. C. Harwood-Jones
That the question on the motion to refer to the Council of the General Synod now be put. CARRIED
The first amendment to refer the resolution to the Council of the General Synod was put and - DEFEATED
That the original resolution now be put. CARRIED
Six members of Synod requested a vote by orders, in accordance with Section III of the Rules of Order and Procedure.
The resolution was then put and - DEFEATED IN ALL ORDERS Act 79